My tank has sprung a leak!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've been noticing wetness on the back left bottom corner and down that edge of the stand of my 265.I was hoping that it might have been some kind of spray from the sump pump or overspray from the FX-5 return outlets but none of those seem to be the case here...I have evac'd my fish,shut down the equipment and drained the tank so I can go about re sealing it.I have never resealed a tank anywhere near this size so I'm looking for ideas on the best way to get it done..Lol,hope you all don't get bored with the wordy opening post.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Krich post pics when you reseal it. Never had to go thru the process and would like to watch. Glad you caught it in time and got everyone moved. Good luck.

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
I found it to be just like doing little tanks. Just work fast and it helps to climb in the tank, unless u turn it on its side.

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
It shouldn't be too bad as you don't actually have to strip all the silicone. You will see that there is basically 2 layers of silicone, the first layer is the rounded layer on the inside that gives it that "sealed" look and the other is the silicone that is actually in between the sheets of glass. Just scrape off as much of the corners as possible and put a new bead on the inside. The picture attached is what I'm referring to.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1383017639.266417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Damn that sucks but good thing you caught it before it damaged anything or you lost fish. I would drain it and put it on the floor so your standing over it/inside it and you can flip it on the front or back if you need to, then just strip and reseal the whole thing. Oh and good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beside resealing the tank, I like to add a couple new panes over the bottom, or along a side of the glass to add some strength, just as if I was covering a crack.
Maybe just an extra pane over the corner of the bottom where it's seeping.
Or along the side of the corner, if the leak is higher up.
I always figure if it is coming apart, and needs a little extra help

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good information guys.Too bad none of you are near enough to help me move the tank.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It shouldn't be too bad as you don't actually have to strip all the silicone. You will see that there is basically 2 layers of silicone, the first layer is the rounded layer on the inside that gives it that "sealed" look and the other is the silicone that is actually in between the sheets of glass. Just scrape off as much of the corners as possible and put a new bead on the inside. The picture attached is what I'm referring to.View attachment 960361

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I see stories of people doing this pretty frequently, but personally wouldn't do it unless it was going on Craigslist soon. If water is seeping that means there is 2 seals leaking. This one and the one that holds the panes together. This method is just a band-aid for a broken leg, IMO. Good luck. The 2 tanks I have had leak I sold as snake cages.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ive done one of these before for my friend doubledragon and its been holding fine for a couple yrs now. I also only redid the inside. Best is to just get into the tank lol...no need to move it either imo, ive siliconed lots of tanks indoors with decent lids and the fumes arent too terrible. I like to lay down 1/2"-1" beads of silicone but thats just my personal preference, pretty sure i used 6-8 tubes for his 265. Razor blades are ur best friend for the old silicone, just take ur time. Wallpaper scraper blades also work exellent. i like to use nail polish remover for the final clean of the glass, then re silicone. As long as u take the time to remove all the old stuff youll have a nice bond when u reseal it. If u think its clean, clean it again haha. Good luck! Itell go quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store