Common Names : Chocolate Cichlid & Other Confusing Common Names

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Sometimes I wonder where some of the common names given to fish come from. While some are spot on, others miss the mark bigtime. For example, I have kept Hyselacara temporalis for years. In fact, I had a beautiful pair of 'chocolates' back in the late 50s that I'll never forget. Why were they named Chocolate cichlids in the first place? A brownish fish doesn't conjure up much in the way of attractive images. Certainly not a “genius” of a marketing decision. Would you buy a fish whose most noteworthy feature is that it is brown?:confused If you were a retailer ordering fish from a supplier, would a brown fish “jump off the page” at you as a “must have”? Maybe the original namer thought, “Who can resist chocolates, as in choca-holic?” Well it's better than “Brown Cichlid” ... but not by much. Anyway, my comments are somewhat “tongue in cheek” but it is true that once a name is assigned, we're stuck with it for the long haul. Contemporary marketers don't make such mistakes with understated names. They go for overkill the other way such as “Blue Diamond Discus”, although a “Penang Eruption” sounds like a terminal case of zits ... or worse. In Flowerhorn-land, a “Red Pearl Dragon” would catch your attention. An Asian Arowana called “King Arowana Super Blood Red Straight Scales Dragon” actually exists out there... and if nothing else, is good for a chuckle . The price is probably in direct proportion to its name :grinno: . Thank goodness for photos. Here's two of my females, and a breeding pair with fry. Maybe Ruby Emerald Laser cichlid? Just kidding. To me they will always be just Chocolates.

MVI_1133.jpg

CH6.jpg

MVI_1133.jpg

CH6.jpg

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
How about Malawi Eyebiter cichlids... No cases of eye biting behavior have ever actually been documented from what I've read

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Ok who came up with OSCAR? What does that have to do with anything? Red Head Tapajos nailed it.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
the JACK DEMPSEY certainly gets my attention .. being a fan of boxing:popcorn:

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If you see a pair of chocolate cichlids in breeding dress you will know why they were given that name. The transformation is unbelievable.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
How about Malawi Eyebiter cichlids... No cases of eye biting behavior have ever actually been documented from what I've read
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
That name hasn't done this fish a favor, that's for sure.

Ok who came up with OSCAR? What does that have to do with anything? Red Head Tapajos nailed it.
Good question! You're right, the 'Tapajos' name is perfect.

the JACK DEMPSEY certainly gets my attention .. being a fan of boxing:popcorn:
Right on guys!! It works both ways. Lee, question is, how many young people in general would know who Jack Dempsey is? But a cichlid-keeping young person probably would. As long as the fish is around, its name will certainly perpetuate his memory. ...and reflects on his reputation as being a tough fighter, just like the fish.

If you see a pair of chocolate cichlids in breeding dress you will know why they were given that name. The transformation is unbelievable.
I don't quite follow Joe. Are you saying that they turn a chocolate brown color when in breeding dress? My second pic shows a pair in breeding dress - lime green and rusty red. Brown? Not so much.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I couldn't agree more. IMO I'd rather see the real sp. name because of the possibility of getting the wrong sp.

My biggest pet peeve is Texas cichlid common name. People often call h. caprintis "green Texas" but they have nothing to do w/ Texas and aren't found there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I think chocolate cichlid has something to do with maybe them being discovered near or a cocoa farm or that they maybe were seen eating cocoa seeds maybe? just a shot in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Very good write up, I really enjoyed reading it, and your humor about it. It's very true and one cannot help but laugh, because it's just comical when looked at like that. And that's how it is. My favorite fish is the Chocolate cichid, too, and their deserving of a much better name given their amazing colors and personality. Very nice pics of your breeding pair.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I think with the DEMPSEY NAME.. the knowledge of the fighter or the fish may open up avenues to discovering the other , it certainly did in my case .... and I will always be happy that it did:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store