Sick gar

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
My gator gar was in my grow out tank and when I got home from work he was almost dead. Breathing heavily and not eating like he normally would. I moved him to my 55 and seems to be doing better but won't eat. What can I do to help him?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Gars have an almost lung type like we humans do. If you ever notice, he will go to the surface and what it looks like, is he slapping his top jaw out of the water, when he is doing that, he is taking in a gulp of air. This is how gar can survive in such low oxygenated water. But gar also need very very clean water and lots of space to turn there long body. If bad water and no space, then it can cause the fish to be under stress and stop eating. Sounds like the tank space is fine if he is in a grow out tank. Maybe do a few more water changes. Hope this helps!

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
+1, and also, the side of the gar and size of tank mates, and pic.
10 gallon and is only 5 inches. I moved him to my 55 and he took some food. My other Florida gar in the 10 is still too small to move to the other tank. 4 inches and isn't eating the fresh shrimp I am giving him. He eats sometimes the cichlid sticks but hasn't and is Pale in color. Changed water and will keep up with that.

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
What kind of tank is he in? size of the tank and fish?
Other fish in the tank are tire track eel, clown knife, Oscar, Florida gar and spotted gar, dehlizi poly and that is all. 55 is also another grow out to my 150, then to my larger take 440 gallon. Oscar is a punk and eating the sticks I get while trying to train my gars to eat that and not the shrimp I am feeding them!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store