male or female green terror?

Mr. Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2013
Parsons, KS
its fairly small about 3 inches its starting to get its blue scales and pointed fins so i was leaning towards male but some more opinions would be appreciated.

2013-10-29 23.33.33.jpg

2013-10-29 23.33.33.jpg

rocky2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
india
female

Mr. Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2013
Parsons, KS
thanks for the replies but if i may ask what makes u decide its a female. I'm trying to obtain a pair currently have four of them but they all seem to be female but this is my only one with pointed fins and more of an orange banner on its tail. so if u could give me things to look for that may help id the younger ones better that would be great thanks

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Well it looks like a female to me as well. It has intermittent spangling on the sides and the orange edging is quite thin. It's hard to see the details of the face but it looks like the blue coloration on the cheeks and chin is coming in more like a female's ... fewer worm-like lines and more blue patchy regions, actually more blue markings on the face than the male, especially under the chin. To be sure, it is immature yet and doesn't show full adult coloration nor are the fins pointed enough yet to say "male". Do you ever see two faint light colored vertical bars, one on either side of the central spot? If so, that is typically female. You can just see them faintly in the third picture. Here are some pics of a mature pair that I have for comparison, male first, then female. Hope this helps.
Jim

MVI_0677-003.jpgMVI_0690-0030.jpg
male

MVI_0973.jpgMVI_1117.jpg
female

MVI_0677-003.jpg

MVI_0690-0030.jpg

MVI_0973.jpg

MVI_1117.jpg

Master Wilkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver B.C.
It's small, so it's hard to tell just yet, however, judging by how pointed the anal and dorsal fins are, I'm going to have to say male. At that size all of my females fins have been quite rounded, whereas my males fins have already been pointy and long like yours. Keep us updated with pictures and we can tell you for sure

Mr. Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2013
Parsons, KS
ocassionally you can see the white lines on either side of the spot but usually when it gets spooked and its colors wash out. when it was younger the lines were more noticable but they seem to be fadeing away as it matures. and i can keep you posted on pics but they seem to be slow growers and havent grown much in the 5 months ive had em

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
ocassionally you can see the white lines on either side of the spot but usually when it gets spooked and its colors wash out. when it was younger the lines were more noticable but they seem to be fadeing away as it matures. and i can keep you posted on pics but they seem to be slow growers and havent grown much in the 5 months ive had em
You're right about them being slow growers. At least they have been for me. I cropped your photo and included it here. Notice that the amount of blue near the back of the gill plate is quite extensive, just like females that I have. Compare the two pictures, yours first, then mine.

2013-10-29 23.33.33.jpg

View attachment 961228

2013-10-29 23.33.33.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store