fixing my cracked tank ! :L

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hey, just fixing my old 2.5feet long, 1 feet wide tank with silicone. one question, am i doing this right? :confused: fyi, this is my first time fixing a tank. :) and any suggestions on wht to fill it with? in my list, angelfish, goldfish, flowerhorn and oscar. thanks. :D
Photo0014.jpg
Photo0015.jpg
Photo0017.jpg

Photo0014.jpg

Photo0015.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

sharizan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
Malaysia, sarawak
That wont hold the water..i had tank just as ur size n almost same crack n after fixing still no problem till now..u need to stick a piece of glass on the crack surface(inside tank)..use silicon, n u should spread more silicon along the crack..refer my hand drawing
P/s sorry for bad drawing...

uploadfromtaptalk1383125685722.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I suspect is sharizan right, silione alone will not take the pressure.
Better to put another pane of glass over the entire length of the crack and silcone it in.
And unless you have an old pane laying around, it may not be worth the cost on such a small tank.
But just to get experience learning to fix one, has a different type of worth/value.
I like to use 2 panes and sandwich the crack, but that's on much bigger tanks, 1 might work on that small one. (like this)

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
even with polystrene below the tank cannot withstand the pressure?
yup, i'll do tht. but did u silicone the panes on both sides or on the inside only?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used silicone on both sides, insurance is in the extra holding strength .
Besides, once you open a tube of GE1, its pretty much a done deal, you might as well use the tube up.

My tank above is a 120 gal, 6ft long, so if it didn't hold, the collapse would be a serious mess.
Here's the tank, after repair and filled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store