The mahi have been on fire!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Wow - didn't know that - thanks! I had Mahi in Florida once - yummy - didn't know it was dolphin! Cool - Has anyone tried keeping one in a tank ? :)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Off topic, but in your first picture above is that an old school Penn reel with the green line? Nice catches too!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
IMAG0043.jpgIMAG0039.jpg
Off topic, but in your first picture above is that an old school Penn reel with the green line? Nice catches too!
Yep. Penn 706z. I run a couple of them. Also some of the older made in USA SS series reels, for bottom fishing my clients use older made in USA Senator 4/0s. I also have some 712Zs as well as 704Zs.

No, the older Penns do not have the crazy drag capabilities of newer reels on the market or the super high speed retrieves but unlike the newer over seas made reels you simply cant kill them. When in a kayak offshore fishing your gear is constantly getting soaked with salt water, and let me tell you, salt water is brutal on reels!

I do like the new Penn SSV series and run three of them often as well, specifically for offshore jigging.

For trolling I run 20lb hiviz Suffix Superior. I like the hiviz stuff because its easier to see my clients lines so I can make sure they are doing everything right. I run about 7ft of 65 fluro leaders. The mono is better then braid for trolling because of the stretch. When a mackerel or sailfish hits the bait going literally 30-50mph you want the line to stretch to avoid having the hooks ripped out of the fish's mouth before the drag can start working.

Our season is coming to a close now and this recent cold snap has probably pushed the mahi and sailfish out. The mackerel will be here for another month or so and after that the pelagics will be gone other then the occasional chance at some blackfin tuna. The reef fish will still be around and flounder will be coming back offshore soon. My next update will probably be a mess of flounder! I cant wait!

Yesterday I went surf fishing for the first time of the season and scored these two fatties and the turtle. The turtle was released because he was just too small! lol

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Thats the way to fish! My favorite fishing is by kayak, i made the mistake of leaving an open spool reel on the kayak overnight when i was on a trip to the chesapeake bay, the thing stopped moving. At all. Bearings were screwed. Thankfully that was my cheap baitcatcher haha

Very nice mahi! Hope to get to those somewhere someday

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store