Auchenoglanis sp. "Giraffe Cat" "Volta"

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
You saw it for sale on aquabid? I saw it a while back tried to get info for myself but got nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
You saw it for sale on aquabid? I saw it a while back tried to get info for myself but got nothing.

yeah that's were I saw it. from doing a little bit of research Volta is just the place they get the fish from so maybe they are just like any other gcat.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
yeah that's were I saw it. from doing a little bit of research Volta is just the place they get the fish from so maybe they are just like any other gcat.
Yeah I knew Volta was its collection location but couldn't find anything on that g cat. Maybe your right and it's just a variant.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have had mine about 6 months. He has only grown about 2 inches in that time. I thought he would shoot right up there. He is about 8" on a diet of 90% pellets. Man, he will go to town knocking 2 ft polys out of the way to get at food.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I have had mine about 6 months. He has only grown about 2 inches in that time. I thought he would shoot right up there. He is about 8" on a diet of 90% pellets. Man, he will go to town knocking 2 ft polys out of the way to get at food.
Surprisingly slow growth for a g cat . Wonder if it's a dwarf species...

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I wonder about that also. He never eats enough to bulge, which is unusual for any catfish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Rodger, so he plows through everyone to get to food but never eats enough to bulge? That's hard to understand unless you under feed or he quits eating quickly. All my g-cats always have been superb eaters.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't think he eats a ton. He spews gravel out his gills regularly. But when the food goes in at lights out he goes nuts. I regularly see food in the morning. Maybe he just likes a taste and stops? Could have parasites I suppose but everone is healthy acting and looking. Kind of hard to see poop.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store