Copper Sulfate to treat Ich

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I have recently had an outbreak of ich in my tank. At the recommendation of my LFS, I got Copper Power, a copper sulfate solution, to medicate the tank. According to the bottle, you don't need to remove carbon, but I have seen some conflicting reports. Also, does anyone know how long it takes for copper sulfate to work? I really don't want to lose any fish, and I am wondering if I should use another method. I was thinking of doing salt, but I didn't want to mix remedies without someone else's experience. I have risen the temperature to about 82, but I am not sure whether it is ok to raise it more.

My tank (55 gallon):
2x Blood Parrot (3 inch)
1x Electric blue jack dempsey (4 inch)
1x Pink Tailed Chalceus (4 inch)
1x Royal Pleco (4 inch)

Anyway, I appreciate whatever advice people have. I am new to ich so I am not sure what to do.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
You can use it not my first choice however. Why not try heat and salt first. Do a 50% water change and a good vacuming of the substrate. Raise the temp in the tank to 88 and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium per 5 gallons of water. Do a daily 25% water change and replace the salt remove by the water change you should be good in a few days.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Oh, and I wouldn't add any more of the Copper Sulfate if I was going to go with the high temp route.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
some folks say salt and heat, some say just heat. personally get the heat up above 86, fish be fine in the 88 range, just be hungry. leave it there for 8 to 10 days after you no longer see on the fish or fall off.

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Well, the ich seems to beaten but I will continue treatment for a couple of weeks. However, the blood parrot, who got ich worse than any other, he seems to be clean now but he looks like he has white large light areas on him. They don't look fuzzy, they look almost like he lost his color in certain areas. They are like blotchy white splotches. Could this be stress or do you think it might be a secondary infection? By the way, thank you all for your help. It's very helpful for someone new to this kind of thing.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Can you post a picture of the fish and post water perameters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store