Photo Journal: 29g Haplochromis Sp. 44 "Red Tail" [Load Warning]

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
This is the official photo journal for my 29g Haplochromis Sp. 44 "Red Tail" tank that has been set up in my college apartment.

Intro/Background: This is the first time I have a place of my own after a year in the dorms and a year in a frat house, and obviously I needed to have a real tank that I can be proud of. So, I set out my junior year with the goal of setting a cost efficient show tank where I can breed a cichlid species that I haven't tried yet. Due to the tank size restrictions, my only options were dwarf cichlids and species on the smaller end. Because I was trying to keep the costs down, I ruled out a planted tank, which basically ruled out all Amazonian fish. The water in Ann Arbor, MI comes out around 7.5pH and I didn't want to deal with constantly lowering the pH so that only left me with Central American and African cichlids. Having kept Tanganyikan shell dwellers before, I figured I'd try out a Malawi or Victoria cichlid. My tank species considerations were: N. Brichardi, N. Dafodill, L. Mbamba, but after scouring the forums/aquabid/craigslist and breeders across the country, I finally found a breeder who was willing to bring his fish to me (since I don't have a car in college). This was great because it cut out the cost of shipping and after setting up the tank, I was close to breaking the budget I set out with of $300.

Goal: To frequently document the status of the tank over the course of my junior year at the University of Michigan. I've also resigned my lease for senior year, so hopefully I can keep it going into 2015. I also hope to continually breed this species and offer the fry to other hobbyists.

Current (10/31/13) tank parameters:
pH: 7.0-7.5
GH: >180ppm
KH: 40ppm
Tank inhabitants: 4x goldfish, 4x Haplochromis Sp. 44 "Red Tails" (1M:3F)

I hope you all enjoy, and check out my past tank journals in my signature!
All pictures taken with iPhone 5.

Tank with first inhabitants (goldfish to aid in cycling with Seachem Stability)

Tank day of introduction of Haplochromis Sp. 44

Presumed dominant female (could be subdominant male - can someone verify?)

Subdominant female

Dominant male

Subdominant female #2

Group photos

Budget Sheet & Chart of costs

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
So, the tank has been through a lot since the last time I posted. The tank underwent a pretty tough couple of weeks, with heater failures (dropping the temperature down nearly 8 degrees F for nearly a week, nitrite and nitrate spikes, and severe algae problems on top of the fact that these past two weeks have consisted of nearly 4 midterm exams. But the tank persevered through the storm and many 17% water changes later, we made it through to something beautiful. But before I say what that is exactly, I wanted to further expand on some of the changes that have happened. For one, even before the heater failed, I have been fighting brown diatom algae on the tank glass for nearly everyday. So in order to combat that, in addition to the nitrate and nitrite spike, I added a large plant, Myriophyllum simulan. The plant served many purposes, despite breaking me from the biotope that I originally intended for, including bringing down nitrates (and nitrites), outcompeting most of the diatom algae that grew on the glass, and served as refuge for the increased aggression amongst the cichlids. So overall, the plant was deemed a success. I plan to add more plants to combat nitrates in the future (currently working on getting anubias to cover parts of the rocks). Second, the cheap heater that I bought on eBay shorted out. I ordered a new one from a more trustworthy brand, Eheim Jager, and was also issued a replacement for the original heater. So I now have a nice spare heater. The only thing about the Eheim is that they sent me the 200w instead of the 150w so it doesn't fit in the same location that I had my other heater in originally. The last thing that I've been dealing with is cloudy water. It seems that no matter how many water changes I perform, the water will not clear up. I'm considering resorting to chemicals to resolve the problem, but not just yet.

And now for the good news, after finally dialing in everything to (nearly) the right conditions, my male and dominant female have finally spawned and are now carrying eggs!!! These are my first mouthbrooding cichlids ever and I am very excited! Approximate time until free swimming is 28 days, so I've got a while, but I have breeding net basket to house them until I can sell them.

The pregnant female:

PS: my girlfriend took most of these pictures (she loves them)

All feedback appreciated.

JsikM

Spotted Gar
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2008
Bay Area
Haha nice budget sheet. Being a college student myself I understand how hard it is to stay on a budget when it comes to keeping fish. Btw great pics!

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
Haha nice budget sheet. Being a college student myself I understand how hard it is to stay on a budget when it comes to keeping fish. Btw great pics!
Thank you very much! Yes, keeping a budget was just to keep myself restrained. I've been in the game long enough to know that I'd eventually go overbudget but it was good for me to try and restrain myself from spending too much money all at once. I've already experienced heater failures and needed to buy miscellaneous things like a breeding cage and plants.

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
Beautiful tank! It makes me want to do something similar with my 25
You should! There were so many options for smaller tanks like ours between all the smaller mbuna species and victorian cichlids. I would also have loved to do a german blue ram breeding tank too, but I don't think I would have been able to keep the water soft and acidic enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store