Swamp Thing 1.2

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
As some of you have probably seen, I had to get rid of the frogs in my swamp a couple of days ago because they were hilariously, obnoxiously loud.

At that point, my swamp was basically a 220g tank 2/3 full to the brim with pothos vines, so getting out all the little frogs (approx 40 in total) we had to cut out the majority of the pothos. And while we were at it, I decided I didn't love the stuff aesthetically (although all the roots are cool) and decided to just rip it all out. Sorry F1! ;)

Anyway, I replanted and rearranged a bunch of stuff to give my turtle more room to swim (the pothos took over most of his space) and sort of clean up the tank in general, and add some non-green color.

Here's some crappy pics I snapped last night of the setup as it looks now:

IMG_20131030_181937.jpg

IMG_20131030_181905.jpg

IMG_20131030_182046.jpg

So of course I get this all set up and add new feeders and the tentacled snakes are chowing down, right...and this ropefish swims by...and WHAM, the tentacled snake struck at and latched onto to a nearly fully grown ropefish! It clearly wasn't going to swallow this, so I had to intervene, and I think both the snake and amazingly the ropefish are OK. I'll be posting about that in the poly section.

Anyway, that's where we're at now. There's still like one frog in there that we didn't get out, but it seems to have a normal call and isn't so bad.

IMG_20131030_181937.jpg

IMG_20131030_181905.jpg

IMG_20131030_182046.jpg

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
love the setup. what kind of frogs did you have? also, what do you use for substrate? sorry for all the questions :p

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
love the setup. what kind of frogs did you have? also, what do you use for substrate? sorry for all the questions :p
I had assorted african reed frogs. They were an unidentified species, but the white and brown ones I got were incredibly incredibly loud.

The substrate in there is a mix of PFS, some small rocks and gravel, and like 4 different types of plant substrate (flourite black and red and some other random stuff) and the occasional peat pellets mixed in.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Loving the tank setup!!!
Thanks! The plants seem to be doing really well although I'm still not sure if the big ass peace lily will take off or not. I'm seeing a little browning around the edges of its leaves and flowers, but also new root and leaf growth. Maybe some old stuff will die off as new stuff grows in as part of acclimating to the new, non-potted semi-aquatic environment.

There's still one reed frog left in there but he isn't so loud, so I guess I'm not free from buying crickets quite yet.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
nice setup, do you have some before pics?
did you happen to record any froggy audio? I bet that would make for a good ringtone. I use bird calls sometimes, kind of freaks people out.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Looks great Ben! I like it better cleaned up this way. .

I mentioned your frog plight to a friend of mine who is into herps, he said if you just got females it would not be an issue with noise< but with running water the males went nuts..

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Looks great Ben! I like it better cleaned up this way. .

I mentioned your frog plight to a friend of mine who is into herps, he said if you just got females it would not be an issue with noise< but with running water the males went nuts..
Yeah, and I mean with some species the males/females look totally dimorphic, as with the hieroglyphics I got rid of. But I was hoping they'd reproduce in there anyway, I just had NO CLUE how loud it would be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store