Surprise 10 gallon fire eel tank...... HELP

TimberleeFields

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2013
Louisiana
My friend has decided to get my unborn daughter a fish. He purchased a fire eel and a 10 gallon......
YIKES.
The eel is about 6" long. Tetra SafeStart was used upon set-up. I have a 75 gallon but cannot get a filter for it or re-seal it until the 27th and some safe start two weeks after that due to funds. It also needs a lid and sand. There is sand in the 10 gal.
Will the eel survive the cycle? After the 14 days I cannot change the water, what should my WCs be to keep the little fella happy?
No returns and I was planning on putting a baby fire eel in the 75 so no returns I just want to keep him alive until I can get him set up.

Timber

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Being that hes small you MAY getaway without doing a water change for 14 days if hes alone, but do you have anyone to feed him while hes in the 75G?

Also, do you plan you plan on upgrading later on?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TimberleeFields

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2013
Louisiana
With the TSS I can't do a WC for 14 days or it will upset the cycle.
What do you mean by do I have anyone to feed him while he's in the 75?

And yes, I plan on upgrading.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
You can do water changes while the tank is cycling, just keep them small and regular - instead of the 50% water change many do twice a week, do 10% water change every day (if not twice a day).

If you make sure to keep up with the small, but regular water changes he has a good chance of survival. Even better, see if you can get some kind of aquarium decoration, filtration media, etc. that is already seeded with beneficial bacteria from a friend or your local fish store. This can cycle your tank immediately, giving your new friend an even better chance.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
With the TSS I can't do a WC for 14 days or it will upset the cycle.
What do you mean by do I have anyone to feed him while he's in the 75?

And yes, I plan on upgrading.
Sorry i miss read your post and thought you said you were going away for 14 days... Which is why i asked about feeding...

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
an unborn child a fish already? he or she shulda waited till ur baby turns 5 at least. gl

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you cant seed the filter first, then i would say yes, let it cycle first and then move the eel across...

Lady Blast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Bay Area, CA
That was an extreme gift to give..... could have started with a betta or something that doesn't get around 3 foot long and eat tons of food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store