Does anyone have any experience with Octopus or Cuttlefish?

zakeel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
washington
Hey everyone,

I am currently trying to get some information about these guys. I have been in this hobby for almost ten years and have taken care of arowanas, stingrays, sharks, barracuda and many other large predators. I recently have had a strong interest in possibly taking care of these guys. I know that there is a specialty forum on another website but I have frequented this for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these animals? Including any past care stories, tips or just general knowledge to contribute?

Thanks!

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Not had actual experience, but from what I've seen and heard, for octopuses you need a tank with no holes or any way for it to get out... watched a video of one getting through a hole that was tiny compared to it!

Hope you get answers from experienced people :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've kept a few different species of octopi in the past,including a blue ring.

zakeel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
washington
What are the most important things to know as someone who is planning to have octopus.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hmm well someone already mentioned their reputation as escape artists,although I've never had that issue,so I guess next would be pristine water and proper food.Getting them good foods was always my biggest problem as their main diet item is crabs which are not easy to come by.

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
Ive looked into keeping cuttlefish a time or two and a resource that might help is TONMO.com. The forums pretty dead and they're changing the software on it now but it's still a pretty good read.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Also you cannot just throw them in a new tank. The tank has to be established for about 6 months but ya, the escape thing is the worst. Even if you can't see the hole, if they can find it, they'll get out of it. Also, put a lot of live rock because the more comfortable it feels, the more it'll be out and you can see it. Try to avoid the blue ringed because, besides the obvious possibility of it killing you, they have the shortest lifespan of them all, which is around 6 months, so it's not really worth it unless you're in Australia and can breed them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No real point in breeding blue rings no matter where you live.I only got one because I was into the different species at the time and one was available to me since I worked in a shop at the time...Also,they are best kept in their own tank as keeping them with fish,other octopus will most likely be a kill or be killed outcome.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
I have a little experience with Sepia bandensis. Max size was around 4"-5". Worked with over 30 ranging from newborns to maybe just under a year old adults. Males fight amongst each other when they reach sexual maturity. We had them open top and had no problems. Layed clutches of eggs every couple of weeks. After hatching they were fed on live mysis live crayfish and swordtails. They're visual hunters so to transition them to frozen krill we had to use a jig line but after a while they got used to it.

The only problem with them I think is their lifespan is roughly a year. After that they go through a sort of senescence. They're eyes will go cloudy and they can't find food easily.

Just make sure there are enough live rock caves for everyone to hide. We had the salinity at around 37 ppt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,short lifespan notwithstanding,one if the coolest pets I've ever had.I had one that was really active and I could sit and watch him for a good while,truly amazing animals.I have some old footage of some of mine but its on VHS,that's how long ago it was lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store