Abnormally long pregnancy

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
This pregnancy currently is the longest I've observed to date. The ray has been pregnant for a while I'm not concerned just wondering if any of you others have observed these long pregnancies. I started to see movement in July.I've seen movement pretty much every time I look at her . Only explanation is I've actually seen movement for four months . She massive also gave me false alarm the other day but now again acting normal like she's not even close to birthing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like she will pop any day now.

Sent from Samsung Note 2

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
If there is movement Matt then don't worry. I agree its unusual but I have heard of it before and if my memory serves me right it had a happy ending.

Good luck mate!

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
plenty of times i have watched a mating wrote down the date and been 30 days or more off on birthing date ...Not sure but if the pups are not ready is it possible mother can hold longer ???

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
If there is movement Matt then don't worry. I agree its unusual but I have heard of it before and if my memory serves me right it had a happy ending.

Good luck mate!
It happened with the boesemani last year just not as long . Seen movement in October November and she had two bd hybrid pups in march.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I'm pretty sure my hystrix mated at the end of May. I found a sperm plug then, and the male had been biting and chasing the female around. Visible pup movement started sometime in July. Last year I think she mated in late march and gave birth in October.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've had a few large litters go beyond the typical time frame for gestation on rays. Usually ended up with pips that were large and healthy at the end of it.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store