How much filtration for this beast?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I have obtained an intex metal framed pool (1,700) gallons approximately and it's a circle , 12 foot in diameter and 2 and a half feet deep yeah it's a beast haha I will be stocking it with the following 2 RTC 1 TSN and 1 RTCxTSN and a silver Arowana (possibly only 1 RTC and mabye not the arowana ) the fish I currently have to go in the pond is my silver arowana 2 feet long and my red tailed catfish 1.3 feet long. The big question is how big and how much filtration will I need I was thinking 2 55 gallon drums filled with pot scrubbers,filter floss, and sponges. They will be filters powered by one single 5,000 gallon per hour pump will this be sufficient for the bio load I will have if not can someone please recommend me a filtration idea . And also I will add MULTIPLE. Heaters to the filters or ponds to keep temps up mabye just like 3 pond heaters or something I don't know.... And also I will be adding pond air pumps for oxygen what do you recommend I do I will want it to be DIY. Any extra recommendations your expert advice is needed thank you all in advance for helping me with this monster setup

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Fluidized bed filter , 2 100g drums with k1 media.YouTube king of diy large tank build

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You will be overstocked regardless of filtration. How are you going to keep the Ari from committing suicide? They are notorious jumpers.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
You will be overstocked regardless of filtration. How are you going to keep the Ari from committing suicide? They are notorious jumpers.
A large net would help. The same ones used on outdoor ponds to keep birds of prey and other animals out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Best bet is empty 55 gallon food grade drums with media in them. You can craigslist them for around 20 dollars each or just go to a coco cola factory or a food manufacturing factory and ask if you can pick through their garbage for some drums. They usually hold flavoring or syrups so a good rinse and there perfect (food grade is always blue containers no matter what the size if its in a volume). I personally would just use two or three filled with gravel as a prefilter and then one with some bio media that wont lose its surface area such as k1. Make sure you have back wash system to make maintenance a flip of a switch and hooking up a shop vac or a leaf blower.

heres an idea of what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu5fqpNCF2Q

But that much gravel is going to cost you a decent amount even at a rock yard. And k1 is going to be a pretty penny too but i figure that's the cheapest and simplest way to do it unless your into pot scrubbers!!!! I wouldnt use them in a pond though, they clog easily but with 2-3 jugs of gravel I'm sure not too much muck is going to get past the gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store