Sick gator and need help fixing him!!!

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
Can anyone help with getting my gator gar fixed. He was in my 55 for a week and was fine but woke up this morning with this Happening to him. Any solutions to get his tail back and his eye fixed. I have put in melafix in hope to getting it fixed but not to sure if that'll work. Help my favorite gar!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1383461712.450164.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1383461723.630448.jpg

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If it happened over-night good chance he got into a tussle w/ a tank-mate.. does he have any and if so what are they? hard to tell from the picture if its bacterial/fungal in nature.. also I would be careful w/ using Melafix or any med w/ Gars.

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
If it happened over-night good chance he got into a tussle w/ a tank-mate.. does he have any and if so what are they? hard to tell from the picture if its bacterial/fungal in nature.. also I would be careful w/ using Melafix or any med w/ Gars.
I moved him to my quarantine tank which is a 10. He is small enough that he is fine. In the bigger tank there were two other gars Oscar and clown knife.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
bet good money that it was an attack by a tank-mate.. good clean water and good food should set him fine in no time. Gar can be very aggressive to each other at times... they aren't territorial persae but they do set up a "pack order" and will dominate each other by posturing and often times shredding each others fins and Oscars and CK's are not ideal tank-mates for gar Ever imho.. and certaintly not juvies. Everytime I add a new gar or move mine about I can expect my dominate fish to shred he new ones fins in the very least and even once settled from time to time I see a split fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store