Over Fed ?

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
This IT is around 4" head to tail, I've been feeding him 5 broken up Hikari Food Sticks once every morning and once every evening. He's alone with a 11" pleco in a 144g at 82* filtered by a Eheim 2260 cannister and 2x33% water changes weekly.
Just got him on dry food 2 weeks ago, for now he does'nt go for raw shrimp, does take Sinking Carnivore Pellets, and I plan to get him on Massivore Delite in the future. I usually try and feed a variety of foods which may be a challenge with this Dat, will one good food be alright long term, and am I on the right track to grow out a monster ?
(I do have a larger tank for when he out grows his present home)

SDC11418.JPGSDC11420.JPG

SDC11418.JPG

SDC11420.JPG

Robg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
schaumburg il
This IT is around 4" head to tail, I've been feeding him 5 broken up Hikari Food Sticks once every morning and once every evening. He's alone with a 11" pleco in a 144g at 82* filtered by a Eheim 2260 cannister and 2x33% water changes weekly.
Just got him on dry food 2 weeks ago, for now he does'nt go for raw shrimp, does take Sinking Carnivore Pellets, and I plan to get him on Massivore Delite in the future. I usually try and feed a variety of foods which may be a challenge with this Dat, will one good food be alright long term, and am I on the right track to grow out a monster ?
(I do have a larger tank for when he out grows his present home)

View attachment 961726View attachment 961727
Honestly if you try to keep feeding your dat a variety of foods it be best
Long term a healthy dat will eat pretty much everything as I found out doing some research I have 13 myself and I try to feed everything
It's hard when they get bigger to try and change there eating habits, but if you start now you be more sucesfull
And try not changing around your tank leave everything the same unless you present other dats or other tank mates never just have 2 always have one or 3. That's my opinion and what worked for others that I talked too
Good luck and by the way beautiful 3 bar dat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
Thanks Robg, will start working on some food variety right away.

In your opinion can one overfeed these guys ?

Robg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
schaumburg il

Well remember there slow growers
How fast do you want him to grow?
And if you feed him just make sure he eats all of it.
And I think at least if you feed him 3 times a day that be good.
In my opinion and experience.
Good luck bud.

Robg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
schaumburg il

And sorry I think one can't be over fed I believe when they are not hungry anymore they won't eat anymore they are picky eaters that's why I said just make sure don't leave food in the tank
So they won't get sick.
Hope I answered your question. Good luck

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
Thanks again for the quick replys Robg. I've grown out lots of Dats since the 90's, everything except VTs, but they where always secondary to my Arowanas. Aside from keeping the tanks clean of uneaten food and water as pristine as possible I never put that much though into growing them out. They would complete for food and slowly grow.
This is the first time I'm keeping a Datnoid as show fish on it's own with only one pleco, hence the newbie questions. I'm good to good now !

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Please tell me how you got yours on pellets/sticks! I have a 3in ID thats only eats FD Krills and bloodworms. Need Advice!

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
Please tell me how you got yours on pellets/sticks! I have a 3in ID thats only eats FD Krills and bloodworms. Need Advice!
After reading a great many previous Datnoid posts I decided to try marinating tiny pieces of shrimp and NLS Thera +A granuals with frozen bloodworm in 5 mls of room temperture tank water in a cleaned prescription container. Then I'd cap it and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hrs.
I'd prepare 2 at a time and feed the mix twice daily. On the 3rd or 4th day he started hitting both the bloodworm and dry food. A week in I started dropping in the Sinking Carnivore Pellets alone and he started eating them. Ironically he only ate the raw shrimp only once by accident and ignored them the rest of the time.
At first he also ignored the floating sticks, but within 2 days he was hitting them too, and that's all he's on now. Next I hope to train him to eat some raw shrimp and NLS pellets.
Hopefully this will work for you too, good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store