Best aro for my setup

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
So I've been playing around with the idea of an arowana, I would love a constant swimming ancient. Now, the fish it would be going in with would be bichirs , small group of peacock bass, striped Raphael cat (if it beefs up enough to make it into the build), possibly an ATF (FATF or VATF). I will be building at least a 200, maybe 250, max of 300 with nice wide footprint and it will be done by early spring.

I'm not getting the aro until it is done and cycled and such, I'm not putting an aro in a 70 haha.. so what would you consider the best aro choice for my stock? I know Africans require a lot of care and aren't exactly what I'm looking for in terms of color, so that leaves it to Jardini, Black, and Silver.

I'm thinking a Black would best fit my stock, any other opinions or would that be the best? For a final home it will end up in something around 500 gallons when I move out. I've heard of jars going berserk, I love their look but I from what I have gathered a Black sounds best.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm looking forward to having one of these guys

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Jardini are too aggressive and almost all silvers get drop eye so the only one I would choose is the black arowana. I have had 5 in the past and currently have a 30" male. Doesn't hurt a flea and does good with tankmates but then again I never fed it live food.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Jars are aggressive buffalo so you'd have to choose tankmates carefully, if you can find a lei there less aggressive, as already stated silvers almost always get d/e that's why id never have one , id either go black or jar all depends on what you want from your aro I suppose , I dont mind having a crazed killer flying around my tank :)

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I wouldn't be feeding it live as I would have to get at least a 10 incher so it wouldn't get eaten so I wouldn't be afraid about starving, by then all my other fish should be on pellet so they'll help teach. It seems I've made the right choice, I hope it turns out to look as good as chics that thing is immaculate.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Sometimes you dont plan on feeding jars live they just help themselves ;)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Black, IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store