aro stopped eating

Mantra0112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
El Paso
hello,

i have a 12 inch aro that stopped eating past like 3 days, i tested the water with the API test kit and with the weekly water changes everything is 0 except nitrates which is maybe at a 5 but far from high,

he is easily the biggest fish in the tank currently with:
2 small oscars 2-3 inch
6 angelfish
ghost knife(3-4 inch)
delhizi birchir(4-5 inches)
2 cat fish biggest one being 6 inches

tank is 250 gallon 8 foot long tank

just curious if it is normal for them to go on eating strikes now and then? normally he eats like crazy he waits by the side of the tank i feed at and as soon as the food sticks hit the water he almost jumps out to eat.. just not the past few days he even turned down crickets which i found odd

any advice welcome thanks

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
its quite normal ... sometimes just bored with the feed or just bad water
my aro went on strike because of bad water usually during changing season, the tap water got affected

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I agree, not uncommon, but worth investigating .

Water quality is often the cause. You said with weekly wc's everything is 0 are you testing before or after a WC? What is important is what the tests showing right before that weekly water change not afterward.

After ruling that out my next question would be what's your weather been like ?? I think longer nights and colder weather is often overlooked, Most big tanks are on outside walls of the home, and can get quite cold behind them on cooler nights and these colder temps with night time low's can put them off eating. Not always the case but much more common then people realize.

Mantra0112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
El Paso
it was about 2 days(thursday night, we usually water change saturday morning) before water change day when i tested it.

it is on an outside wall but we do have 2 heaters in the tank and the thermometers show a little above 78 degrees atleast during the day when i watch the tank he did eat some this morning just not as much as he usually does just a few food sticks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store