300 Gallon Stock Tank- Setup question

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Hey everybody.

Got my 300 gallon rubbermaid shipped to me today!

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of how or what to use to raise it up?

And also any advice on framing it? I want to put something around it to combat the bowing.

Hopefully somebody has something! But you guys never let me down, so thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Build a stand just like another other stand you would build for a tank. Plan how heavy duty you need to build it because it will weight a bit. As for adding bracing and a border to it you will need to fill it full to see if it bows at all and then figure out the measurements of that you want to build. Also im unsure if your unit is round or the more square one. That will affect my advice on a brace/trim.

Sent from Samsung Note 2

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Thanks. I was thinking id just build any other stand. And plywood and styrofoam the top.

But since its 65"x69" im probably going to need a middle row of vertical supports, not just the ends.

And its this one.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1383685093.150970.jpg

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I may use the stand from my 125 and just turn it on its side, and make it wider. Because 18" height is all i was after. I like recycling wood whenever i can.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Best place for the stock tank is on the concrete floor. To many problems can happen with it being raised up. Could always just frame a wall on 4 sides of it and stack a couple 2x4's at the top of the wall under the lip to help prevent bowing. Basically turn into looking like a hot tub for fish lol.

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Alright. I mean its only going to be filled to the second inside rim anyway so it probably wont bow much, or at all like you guys are saying. I wanted it up a little bit so i could drain it into my existing sump. Which is also a stock tank of the same height haha.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sweet thanks for the confirmation on bow. Ive never owned one this style and would rather have someone check vs find out it bowed a little and then it didnt fit as they wanted. If its now bowing at all just decide if you want it up to a certain height and either make a rim or now. But making it like a hot tub would be great. I dont see the need for it to be on the floor. If thats the case why are all tanks not placed on the floor then? Just build a very sturdy stand for it.

Sent from Samsung Note 2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store