Have you ever wondered about the global numbers of fishkeepers?

I just was thinking, I wonder how many people with tanks there are in the world? To put a realistic bent on my question, i wonder how many people consider themselves fish hobbists vs. people who own a fish tank.

Any guesses?

My guess would be 2 million people. That seems low somehow... but its my gut feeling.

I'd guess there are at least 6 million homes around the world with a tank, with less than half of those being hobbyists.

Thoughts? What do you think?

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I just was thinking, I wonder how many people with tanks there are in the world? To put a realistic bent on my question, i wonder how many people consider themselves fish hobbists vs. people who own a fish tank.

Any guesses?

My guess would be 2 million people. That seems low somehow... but its my gut feeling.

I'd guess there are at least 6 million homes around the world with a tank, with less than half of those being hobbyists.

Thoughts? What do you think?
I think its <11million, but the number of tanks in homes would probably be atleast a 100mil.. is suspect its way more.

I think its <11million, but the number of tanks in homes would probably be atleast a 100mil.. is suspect its way more.
I think you are right. Wikipedia says that there are 9.1 million fishkeepers in the US alone. But I really wonder how many of those households are hobbyists. i'd guess very few are true hobbyists.

Maybe world wide the numbers of true hobbyists is higher than I thought... maybe 15 million. that seems really high.

I wonder which country has the highest number of true hobbyists.

Why hasn't anyone done a study like this. Then again, why would anyone! :)

I was way off on the numbers according to Wikipedia, but still I wonder what the number of real hobbyists are.

I don't know how to quantify (or is it qualify?) a real hobbyist.

More than one tank? Thinking about fish daily?

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I think you are right. Wikipedia says that there are 9.1 million fishkeepers in the US alone. But I really wonder how many of those households are hobbyists. i'd guess very few are true hobbyists.

Maybe world wide the numbers of true hobbyists is higher than I thought... maybe 15 million. that seems really high.

I wonder which country has the highest number of true hobbyists.

Why hasn't anyone done a study like this. Then again, why would anyone! :)
I think its very high considering how many people keep fish in asia, as many people have artificial ponds over there. another thing to consider is that the number of koi pond keepers is huge in Europe and japan, and I would count that as being a hobbyist.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I was way off on the numbers according to Wikipedia, but still I wonder what the number of real hobbyists are.

I don't know how to quantify (or is it qualify?) a real hobbyist.

More than one tank? Thinking about fish daily?
many people will have aquaria as décor, so if its for the enjoyment of fish and not as décor then your a hobbyist.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would say the numbers would be staggeringly high... As mentioned, many Asians own fish tanks...

I mean when i goto fish street on any given day you see hundreds of people shopping, lets say only half are fish keepers, thats already quite a lot of people for just one very small area...

So world wide i would guess easily 30-50 million fish keepers...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
about 20% the population in East and South East ASIA are fish keeper(not sure if I remember it right) and there is like a billion people live there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store