this gar caught my atention

demewh2002

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
mexico
Hi, i would like to read your opinión about this gar, i think it is tropical gar as most gars found here in mexico, i found this one in a market, it called my attention because it is very White and have almost no spots, it seems to have some spots on the sides but they seem to be like cream yellow and very faded, i have seen gars since i was a kid but never seen one like this, ofcourse i bought it, what do you think??
View attachment 962315View attachment 962316

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
food market? I can see its' pattern there, seem like they fade due to stress or something. BTW it look like a Florida gar or might be spotted.

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
possibly could be platinum time will tell after you bring it home. just curious what was the price of it? i have only been to mexico once and also went to pet store in mexico once i saw a very large gila monster while I was at the pet store too. It was the first time I had ever been to any pet store outside of the U.S.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
buy it

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
tropical gars are common in Mexico? Do they have hefty prices?

does not look platinum IMO.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
faded/stressed as to be expected. I've never seen a trop juvi up close.. but imho very likely he is a trop... the snout looks to wide to be a florida and the tail patterning is suggestive of a trop. Give him a few weeks and post more pics ;) then you should know for certain if he's something not just special but very special.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you can house and feed it properly, and it isn't too expensive, i would say why not... looks like it could be a pretty sweet fish...

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
faded/stressed as to be expected. I've never seen a trop juvi up close.. but imho very likely he is a trop... the snout looks to wide to be a florida and the tail patterning is suggestive of a trop. Give him a few weeks and post more pics ;) then you should know for certain if he's something not just special but very special.
I thought it is a trop when I see that tail and head too, but the kinda faded pattern took like spot on Florida and spotted gar, the snout is a bit long and some of my spotted do seem to have broader looking snout than that.
But then he say he bought it at the market so it might be food market, and that's mean it is a trop.

demewh2002

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
mexico
it was this color a month ago when it arrive, it has been with me since saturday and still this color, i said it is tropical gar because i read this species is the more comon here in my state, but it is just a guess, it was living with another gars but the rest of them had spots all over their body.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store