Datnoid Scratching????

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys.

Recently my 3in Indo datnoid has been rubbing his body all over different decoration in the tank. On close inspection I don't see any abnormalities with the Dat's scales/body. He does it very frequently so I am concerned. None of the other fish in the tank do it but then again none of them are datnoids. There has been no new changes with my tank in a long time. Should it be something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What are feeding your dat,it sounds like it may have parasites?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Keep an eye out for white spots on him. In my experience, scratching against stuff is usually the first sign of ich before you can see it.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Keep an eye out for white spots on him. In my experience, scratching against stuff is usually the first sign of ich before you can see it.
Ok the tank has been established for a while, can ick still show up?. Im just concerned because it is so frequent he rubs every 10 secs on average, otherwise hes in perfect health physically and hunger wise. I will keep a close eye.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No he certainly can't get parasites from those foods but the dat could already have had them at the time of purchase and they are now just getting to the point of irritating or they could have been introduced to the tank by some other fish..Something is obviously causing the fish discomfort so I would treat the tank with a good medication that deals with both types of parasites....internal and external.Ich is a type of parasite and it can turn up in well established systems.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Things should not get much worse until you can get some treatment into the tank...Pima won't do any good so save it.Look into prazi pro or something similar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store