Trouble With Feeding Evenly and Right Amounts

Wels_Catfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
United States
Hello everyone, I am posting this today because I'm having a bit of a problem with my aquarium. I have a 75 gallon tank with three fish in it. My three fish are a Orange Tiger Oscar Chiclid(about 10 inches long), a Jack Dempsey Chiclid(about 7 inches long), and a Florida Spotted Gar(about 1 foot long). I am currently feeding them chiclid pellets(for the chiclids obviously), shrimp, and occasionally some rosy red minnows. By the way, we recently purchased this tank from a friend who moved. Anyway, the Oscar pretty much eats everything I drop in the tank and does it fast, if the Oscar is busy, eating something else, the Jack Dempsey moves in and takes the rest.I was wondering how I get some food to the Gar (Is there anything Chiclids won't eat that gars will?) and what some nutritional foods to feed all the fish. The Oscar is the boss and controls almost everything in the tank, I really wonder how to bypass this. The Gar used to eat goldfish (What the previous owner fed them), yet still not as much as the Chiclids. Then I did some research and found that goldfish are not nutritious and can carry diseases, so what can I feed them and how can I get some food to the gar? Please respond as soon as possible.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Try dropping the food in the out flow of your filters, this should spread the food so everyone gets a little. Also NLS food is great and comes in a variety of sizes, sinking pellets would be best.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have the same problem. My JD eats ALL the freeze dried Krill, my Synspilum and GT's get none. The Syn eats the algae tabs only cause the JD doesn't like em. The CL's and catfish eat whatever hits the bottom, and my Gold Nugget NEVER eats anything. I have some Sajica that only eat flakes. None of them eat NLS pellets, which is what I'd like them all to eat==except the catfish--they eat A LOT of NLS pellets cause everybody else just watches them fall instead of eating them. I'm thinking about feeding letting all the fish get hungry for a couple days, then just feeding NLS pellets. Maybe if they get hungry enough, they'll figure this out?

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Gar tend to get out competed by cichlids. I hand fed my Spotted. Use feeder tongs and shrimp, silversides, or tilapia filets. You can also stuff the meat with pellets to ensure it gets additional nutrients. Mine eventually got to the point it would take food from my hand. You may also want to keep the oscar at bay with a net or divider every few feedings to let the other fish eat without harassment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store