URGENT - Medication sensitivities in AUL (Aussie Lungs)

rosequoll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Have been on holiday for 3 weeks, returned a week ago and have been doing only quick checks and feeds on my large native tank. Finally sat down today to do a waterchange and tidy up on the tank and realised that in my absence I've had a massive infestation of bloody FISH LICE.

Wonderful...

Normally I'd just hit the tank with a dose of ivermectin, and another in a week, but I have zero information regarding medication sensitivities and tolerances with AUL's. Not many people tank about them online and even less (none?) talk about suitable treatments. Because of their prehistoric nature and the fact that other natives (scleropages) can be quite sensitive I want to be 100% sure before anything touches the tank.

Infestation was brought in by my stupid choice to place some native wild caught novahollandae (sp?) mussels into the tank. They'll be removed in the morning and treatment started as soon as I can work out what to treat with and dosage rates.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Do you have an extra tank available to use as a hospital tank?

rosequoll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry, that being said, yes I have alternate tanks available to quarantine, but in this case the entire tank (500 litres and 200 litre sump) need to be treated.

Stock in tank:
2 x AUL
1 x large 7-spot archer
1 x Snakehead gudgeon
2 x Australian Bass

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I understand. Where I was going with this was to treat the main tank as you normally would while sepeerationg the AUL and treating them in a bath soultion and then returning them into an unmedacated hospital tank between baths allowing the main tank to be treated at full streingth. Does this sound like a reasonable option to you?

rosequoll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Definitely an option but what I need info on more than anything is whether ivermectin can even be used safely with them at all. I'm not even willing to go 1/2 dose without being sure.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
PAGING ODDBALL!...send him a pm in case he does not see this thread soon enough.He should be able to help you.

rosequoll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks so much! I will PM him now.

I'm hoping in the end I can get this sorted and I might start a thread for people to share any information about their experiences keeping lungfish so I can put together a website resource.

rosequoll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I've also now emailed London Zoo (because they have lungfish) requesting any information on doseage rates and medications suitable for lungfish.

Called Currumbin Sanctuary and their vets there have never had to use ivermec, so no information but he felt that it would be fine. (Still doesn't make me confident enough)

About to call Underwater world on the Coast and then the local exotics vet. Someone's gotta know. =) At this point it's likely ivermec will be used but I'd like to feel more confident and touch base with people that have first hand experience or research papers on hand.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My suggestion was going to be to physically removed them with tweezers, and then treat the wound with hydrogen peroxide followed by a 30 minute Methylene Blue Bath. Return the fish to the hospital tank. After 24 hours give another MB bath while doing a 50% water change in the hospital tank. Treat the main tank seperatly with the ivermectin. Keep the AUL in the hospital while the other tank is treated. Very low risk treatment, no ivermectin required.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store