Will this led lighting work for my needs?

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Here's what the tank will be-

20g long
Hydro-Sponge Filter + AC50
low tech/no tech (hoping to not need ferts or co2)
somewhat lightly planted with low-med light non-stemmed plants ( j. moss & j. fern, maybe duckweed)
somewhat black-water, oak leaf litter over pfs sand substrate
driftwood
2 Apistos Cacatuoids and 4-5 dither

I've been looking for something on a budget and not a DIY led, and I came across these two different led lights which I think will be fine for my needs. Both these 2 lights are fairly different in concept as one is a hanging light and one is a tank clip-on. Therefore one is adjustable in height and the other not so much, unless I rig something up I guess. Another issue is the clip-on light is 7000k, is this going to be too much? And the hang light doesn't show a kelvin rating in the specs, so where does that leave me with that light? The clip-on light, the light bar measures 18"x4", as the hang light measures 12"x12". One also has moonlights, does this help the plants at night?

There's to just too many options for me to make the best decision, when all I really need is something that's gonna promote low-med light plant growth. I'm curious, given the specs of the lights and what I'm planning to use them for, which would be best suited to my tank needs? I've never done a planted tank before and could use a hobbyist with more experience to chime in. Much thanks to any who share their experience and opinions.

Clip-on light-http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-48-LED-Aquarium-Fish-Water-Plant-2-Mode-Clip-White-And-Blue-Light-Lamp-110-240V-p-51600.html

And the hang light-http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-New-225-LED-Hydroponic-Plant-Grow-Light-Pannel-Board-Red-Blue-Lamp-Bulb-14W-p-50476.html

bobkyaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
Singapore
I am not an expert but I would choose clip model.

White and blue light combination is recommended by Aquarist. Best temperature rating for aquatic plant is 6500K to 10000K. Higher spectrum can reach deeper.
But good to have both white and blue mix. I am currently using 8000K + 10000K LED light for my nano.

Photosynthesis use 430-450nm (blue) and 650-675nm (red) though.

The other one won't look natural on tank.

You can get by without CO2 but ferts required or not depends on your water chemistry , photo period, intensity and fish load (nutrient contribution).

Just my 2 cents.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Thank you, man. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the clip model leds this morning. I misread the measurements and thought it was a 18" bar, it is a 18cm bar, which would be ok for a 10 gallon but not a 20g. The hanging light, I didn't realize it wasn't a white/blue spectrum, my bad. I think the 2 clip-on leds for $25 plus a few bucks shipping is a good deal, for lighting a 20g. I didn't trust the first place I found it listed at, but I was able to find the light on newegg.com for the same price and far less complaints about service.

The selling point on the clip-on light for me was the fact I was able to find vids on youtube that showed it in use. It lights the tank very well, here's the vid, fast forward the first 2 mins-
[video=youtube_share;gPwuhTeKbcg]http://youtu.be/gPwuhTeKbcg[/video]

And here's the link to where I bought it from, Newegg.com, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00CP3595

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I just got the lights a few days ago and set up the tank yesterday with some Brazilian Pennwort which will be the main plant. I'm waiting on driftwood to become waterlogged and then the final scape should be done. The 20g tank turned out to be only 15g, which works for what I wanted, not a biggie. I decided on using 2 of the fixtures for more light coverage, one just wasn't enough. One would be ok for a 10g max. I'll post pics once I get new batteries for the camera. As far as the lights go:

Pros-
I'm very pleased with the led lights so far. No led's flickering, nice bright white-blue light, cool shimmer effect. I just popped the Pennywort in last night and already see new growth today. The lights look great on the tank too, sleek profile. 7000k @ 3.5w & 15v. $13 a fixture (about a 2"x7" light panel), +shipping. Easily adjusting arm. White and blue light mode, white only or blue only light modes.

Cons-
The lights are likely made for clipping onto a rimless tank. I have a rimmed tank and had to affix using velcro (easy). The power button isn't a switch like advertised, it's touch sensitive. Because of this, it doesn't work with a timer and turn to the setting you want, you have to cycle thru the light modes to get to what you want every time it's turned on.

If the lights only last me a year, which would be only a 1/4 their projected bulb life of 10k hours, I'd buy them again. It'd be almost like replacing a light bulb at that price. First impressions other than the light does seem cheap (plastic base and panel), and is made in China, it's doing what it's supposed to do just fine. The plants don't lie. Pics soon enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store