Advice on my *new* Florida Gar...

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
USA
He appears to have a "pink" colored tip of his snout, is this common?? Are there nostrils as well? If not, is his snout damaged(injured)??

He also seems VERY timid to eat...I am using the exact pellets(sinking) that the LFS was feeding him. Also using feeders, small guppies as well, but he is with a VERY hungry Red Pike Cichlid and appears too slow to eat the feeders before the pike has eaten everything in site!!

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated, be gentle as this is my first post, and I have attached an image, hope it works....

DSCF0034.JPG

redtail_fanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
Philippines
maybe your gar is not hungry?.,?or maybe.., your gar is shy?.,i dont have experience on that kind of situation., but my advice is., remove your red pike., your gar is in a competition., in eating., try to remove the red pike., and please., clean ur acquarium maybe that is the another cause.., ur acquarium is filled with algae., pls clean it.., your gar dont like that kind of home...ok?..,

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
USA
I am working on the algea...its geting too much direct sunlight almost all day...
plus no background either...

I have raised the temp from 76 to 80 to see if the activity levels pick up...

As for PH it is at: 8.0...seems a little too high?!

Any more constructive tips...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
289848752;699967; said:
I am working on the algea...its geting too much direct sunlight almost all day...
plus no background either...

I have raised the temp from 76 to 80 to see if the activity levels pick up...

As for PH it is at: 8.0...seems a little too high?!

Any more constructive tips...
i agree with removing the pike...right now it is outcompeting the gar and will continue to do so. the gar may come around and become a more aggressive feeder, but this doesn't seem likely for a while.

raising the temp is a good idea, and i would increase the water changes to at least once a week, or at the very least 50% every other week. more frequent water changes will help the gar's snout heal up and prevent infection. you could also use a low dose of salt to help stave off infection, such as 1tbsp per 20g of water. good luck!--
--solomon

rockinthe40ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
west virginia
redtail fanatic you are halarious lmao

rockinthe40ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
west virginia
"and please., clean ur acquarium maybe that is the another cause.., ur acquarium is filled with algae., pls clean it.., your gar dont like that kind of home...ok?.."

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Edited posts. He has already said the algae issue is being taken care of. Let's continue this in a more constructive manner.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
redtail_fanatic;700072; said:
i noticed ur gar.., its beautiful.., i just want to say that clean ur
tank..,coz that is the cause.. of his dizzzyness...
as eric alluded to, the algae issue is being dealt with, but i can assure you it is not causing any direct problems with the gar or it's orientation or other issues.--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;700387; said:
as eric alluded to, the algae issue is being dealt with, but i can assure you it is not causing any direct problems with the gar or it's orientation or other issues.--
--solomon
Remind me not to post any pics of my gar tank :p

On this issue I can not say it any better than Solomon already has.
I wanted to add a little note on your pH. 8.0 is not to High for the fish and should be fine.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store