Tank Height

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
So I'm thinking about a big tank. I'm wondering if having a 30 inch tank height is really gonna be used by my fish? I figure to have Synspilla, Lyonsi, Jack Dempsey, GT, Sajica, and then some bottom dwellers. In my tank now, the cichlids all hang out on the bottom now, and it's 24 inches high. If I had a 30 inch tank, I'd have the top 12 inches of water just empty? The fish only go up there to eat? If that's the case, would I be better off getting a tank that's 24 inches high and 36 inches deep? I guess what I'm asking is what's a better use of tank volume? Width or height?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
width is the best part about big tanks. I personally never had a tall tank but alot of people on here have. Some say they wont go back and some dont like the height because its harder to get to the bottom of the tank for cleaning.

24" height is the most common in "big" tanks. But you can see some bigger such as 36". That is pretty darn tall. Some other people will chime in im sure that have taller tanks and can give a first hand account and not a secondary source such as myself.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Go as big in every direction that your budget and space will allow. You could always get species that tend to hang out in the upper portions of the water column (ex- Pinktail Chalceus would be cool with your current stock). In my opinion, tanks that have activity at different levels are a lot more interesting to watch.

Tall tanks are not that difficult to maintain...all you need are the right tools for the job (long gravel vac, long handled nets, magnetic algae scraper and long tongs/grabber).

IMO, the only real drawback is the cost; taller tanks must be made of thicker material and the cost can grow exponentially. But the "wow factor" of a tall tank can't be beat.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I will confirm that the taller tanks are a pain to clean. My 90 and my 144 are tall tanks and they are my least favorite to deep clean.

I was in the market for a 4x2x2 120 gallon a while back. The only thing I could find locally was a 4x2.5x2 150 extra high, and I turned it down because I didn't want have to maintain another large, tall aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
Go as big in every direction that your budget and space will allow. You could always get species that tend to hang out in the upper portions of the water column (ex- Pinktail Chalceus would be cool with your current stock). In my opinion, tanks that have activity at different levels are a lot more interesting to watch.

Tall tanks are not that difficult to maintain...all you need are the right tools for the job (long gravel vac, long handled nets, magnetic algae scraper and long tongs/grabber).

IMO, the only real drawback is the cost; taller tanks must be made of thicker material and the cost can grow exponentially. But the "wow factor" of a tall tank can't be beat.
I agree. my 175 is a tall tank, 33" , love the larger show window per say. my oscar uses all of it. the other advantage is a larger water volume, so your nitrate creep will be slower than in a smaller volume tank with same stock and foot print. I have a finished indoor bench that i use when WC/vacuuming. tank is 5.6' FT on the stand with the canopy off.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you're keeping cichlids then width is certainly more useful than height. If you had a choice fo 3' tall and 2' wide or 2' tall and 3' wide the latter would be better hands down. But as Aldiaz said, if you can go 3x3' that would be better again!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I like the viewing window of a tall tank. As said above, footprint is most important, but I like the added height aesthetically speaking.

30" is about as tall as I'll go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store