Would these work in a 120 gallon tank as adults?

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
A pleco and an oscar? And could I add anything else? This is of course assuming terrific filtration since they are both dirty fish.

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
A friend of mine has a common pleco that she got for her kid back in the day, having no idea how big they get. He's about 5 inches long now and she doesn't know what to do with him, she has him in a 15 gallon. She's offered him to me and I've always wanted a big ol' common pleco have never gotten one but I didn't think i could house him as an adult. What size tank would you need to keep them together as adults? I don't really want other cichlids, I have an african cichlid tank already, which I love, but I want something different for this tank (yes I realize Oscars are cichlids, but they look so different from my Africans they feel like a different fish to me, not more of the same).

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Depending on how old that pleco is it may be horribly stunted. If I Remember correctly common plecos can reach almost 2 feet so you'd need a tank at least 30 width. But considering that one may be stunted it should be fine

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
sail fin/ common pleco get between 18" to 24" . I have one in my 175 with my oscar, he is a year old and about 9". If you have just the Oscar and the pleco you should be fine for a year or 2. but after that, he will be to big.

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
I asked he's about 1.5 years old and 5-6 inches long..is that stunted? How long would it'd be before they needed a tank bigger than 120? Thanks somich for the advice!

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
I guess I should say..I know he's stunted but how much? I know eventually I could get a bigger aquarium but the question is when. Unless my lottery dreams come true I won't be buying a bigger aquarium new so its just be luck in finding it used.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store