Gar mouth

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I dont think its a stuck object im pretty sure its a goiter. They are like a tumer and it can block his throat causing him to starve. Goiters are from mal nutrition. Ive seen small ones like this come and go gar but if it continues to grow its not good news. You may have to force feed him with some type of vitamin but im not positive. Hopefully someone with more experience on goiters can help. Good luck i hope he turns around for u. Try enticing him with well fed conditioned feeders. Small gators should have a supply of food 24/7 until around 10-12"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
I dont think its a stuck object im pretty sure its a goiter. They are like a tumer and it can block his throat causing him to starve. Goiters are from mal nutrition. Ive seen small ones like this come and go gar but if it continues to grow its not good news. You may have to force feed him with some type of vitamin but im not positive. Hopefully someone with more experience on goiters can help. Good luck i hope he turns around for u. Try enticing him with well fed conditioned feeders. Small gators should have a supply of food 24/7 until around 10-12"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
How do you force feed a gator gar?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Those are a bit better.. Can you tell me how long the fish has not fed and what you fed it before this occurred? Also please include relevant data such as tank temp, frequency of water changes, other tank occupants and anything else you think I should know.

Honestly what this looks like to me is a very emaciated and under fed gator gar at a size it really is not good for it. That is not something stuck in it's throat, that is a fish so skinny and underweight that the Cartilage that supports the tongue is bulging out. This is common in underweight Gars at this small size. Let me know the above information and we can see what we can do to turn the fish around.

scabbedwings616

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2013
United States
Those are a bit better.. Can you tell me how long the fish has not fed and what you fed it before this occurred? Also please include relevant data such as tank temp, frequency of water changes, other tank occupants and anything else you think I should know.

Honestly what this looks like to me is a very emaciated and under fed gator gar at a size it really is not good for it. That is not something stuck in it's throat, that is a fish so skinny and underweight that the Cartilage that supports the tongue is bulging out. This is common in underweight Gars at this small size. Let me know the above information and we can see what we can do to turn the fish around.
Frequency of water changes. 25 percent every other day. It's at 79 degrees, I fed it fresh shrimp daily and he is eating small bits right now. Not enough to make it worth it. Other tank mates are Lima Shovelnose, tiger Shovelnose hybrid, and Florida gar. All in a 10 gallon grow out tank.

Gar was in my 55 gallon tank and someone was picking on him so I moved him over to that tank once again. Soon he will go into my 37 tank and then off to the 55 then off to the 150! He is about 5 inches now.

Your help is greatly appreciated

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Frequency of water changes. 25 percent every other day. It's at 79 degrees, I fed it fresh shrimp daily and he is eating small bits right now. Not enough to make it worth it. Other tank mates are Lima Shovelnose, tiger Shovelnose hybrid, and Florida gar. All in a 10 gallon grow out tank.

Gar was in my 55 gallon tank and someone was picking on him so I moved him over to that tank once again. Soon he will go into my 37 tank and then off to the 55 then off to the 150! He is about 5 inches now.

Your help is greatly appreciated

gator gar at that size should be kept with feeders at all time because they need constant food. tank mate are not recommended for young gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store