Dried Krill and Dried Shrimp

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
Hi everyone. I always buy dried shrimp for my flowerhorns and was wondering what's the difference between dried shrimp and dried krill. Is there a nutritional difference or are they also different in other ways? Which is better? Thanks, Ed.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
Bump

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I believe FD shrimp are better--I think I heard somewhere that feeding too much krill can lead to some kind of disease? Not sure. I just stick with shrimp generally.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
Krill and Shrimp are different species. Krill are from the ocean and shrimp are freshwater (ghost shrimp). I've tried to feed freshwater fish krill but they are larger I find then the freeze dried shrimp and smell more like the ocean lol.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Krill are also available in jumbo size, which is good for feeding bigger fish - if you are concerned about the quality of food, then you should be feeding a variety, no matter what, anyway.

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
I feed mine freeze dried jumbo krill a few times a week. I always re-hydrate them over night in Boyds vita-Chem, kinda like gut loading live food. they are high protein, good for Jags and such but not that great for Oscars or JD.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store