Back in the game!

kittyhazelton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Upper Valley VT/NH
Well, I have NOT been on this forum for a very very long time.
Since my last postings (I can't even find them anymore) life has changed a lot for me. I've been through financial crisis, moved a couple times, got into an issue over zoning with the town I was living in for keeping "dangerous wild animals" in my home (Despite having licensing & permits through the Fish and Game department) For those of you who do not know me I run a 501C3 non-profit reptile rescue and keep a permit to house restricted non-venomous reptiles (Things like giant snakes, alligators, etc.)
Well, amidst all that moving I had to part with my only resident rescue alligator who was transferred to another wildlife facility (she was 5' at the time) For me, alligators & crocodiles are my "ultimate reptile" challenge and I had been longing for the opportunity to work with another one.My reptile collection has been mostly "tame" until recently... but a good friend of mine who works for another wildlife facility was able to get for me a 100% legally acquired, captive-bred baby american alligator.
Meet "Chochmo"!
He is currently co-habbing in the 400gallon indoor stock pond with our Red Eared Slider community, but will eventually be getting upgraded to an enclosure all his own (as he grows) He's currently about 18" nose to tip of tail.

littlegator.jpg
bigturtlittlegator.jpg
gator&turtles.jpg

gator&turtles.jpg

littlegator.jpg

bigturtlittlegator.jpg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
That's pretty cool and all but that hybrid in your last picture is really dangerous. I mean if we start putting armor plating on alligators I'm pretty sure they'll take over the world.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can see it now on the Sy Fy channel.....TURTGATOR!!

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Nice! Alligators are amazing, anyone who can keep one should feel lucky!

Great pic, too :D

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Sweet! I love alligators! Just be careful with the turtles since they may be able to nip his/her fingers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I know they are everywhere where I live and grow pretty big. Not unusual to find a 5-6 footer sunning in the backyard freaking out the dogs. Lol

Class II license and specific cage requirements in Florida.

Lotsa gators in these parts. Cool animals. Best of luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Lep, I like your setup for your little Caiman. Looks really nice.

Although it's still too small as a "for life" enclosure by the standards of the article that I linked to, you are doing better than most.
The article you linked to is the suggested size for a croc or gator. It has 0 bearing on a caiman. As an adult female of my sp will likely never reach 4.5ft (though it is theoretically possible, even slightly larger), even basing off your link, Im pretty much there. Assuming 3.5 to 4 foot adult size, Im sitting at 10x13ft (your link would have me at 10.5ft x 10.5ft on low end, 16x16ft on the high end) . No offence, but it is clear you haven't a clue on the subject you are speaking. As such, I believe you owe the OP an apology. Even if we discount you having no clue, you were very rude when you never even read what she posted. Just scanned over it and cherry picked to fuel what appears to be an anti croc sentiment.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Woah, this person literally is licensed to own them. As such, we can be pretty sure they know how big they get and what kind of requirements they need. She can use the gator for more then just a pet, for educational purposes, so kids dont end up thinking they can go all "gator boys" and start messing with little ones. I wouldnt be surprised if the amount of gator bites rose as a result of dumb kids getting ideas.

People like this is the only reason gators arent extinct, if you guys dont recall they were close to that at one point.

OP, great looking gator! Im sure youll have some fun with him lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store