Gravel or sand ???

Ibewlocal71worker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Cambridge ,Ohio. USA
I've had many tanks in the past and I'm just now setting them back up.....I had them in storage for the last couple years, I've been moving around and working on the road. Anyways I've always just ran with the regular gravel in all of my tanks I'm setting up a chiclid tank and saw a sand that says it actually particularly for chiclid tanks. Does anyone know if running with the sand will promote my tank much more than your normal gravel. I was planning on running an underground filter(which I know everyone says you dont need, but I still like running with one)in which would make it almost impossible to run with the sand. I'm also running a magnum 350 in which the UG filter is not my only filter on the tank. I still like using the UG filters with my power heads and it seems like it makes clean up a breeze when it's time to get out the gravel vac. Any suggestions ????

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
i personally like sand over gravel because the uneaten food and waste stays on top of the sand so its easy to spot clean, and gravel all of the uneaten food get in between the cracks and its harder to clean, if you choose sand look for pool filter sand don't use play sand its to fine IMO and ruins the impellers of HOBs they start making a grinding noise.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
What kind of cichlids will you be getting? I prefer sand with cichlids and it seems they do as well. Have fun with your setup :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Get out of the 80's, ditch the UGF and gravel!! :p

In all seriousness though, sand substrate is easier to clean as the waste doesn't settle down into it as it does with gravel. If you set the tank up right with a good canister or similar and minimise/eliminate dead spots you'll find it a lot easier than siphoning gravel.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Sand in all my tanks and will never turn back. You can ditch the ugf and use the powerhead or air pump to power a sponge filter for a cheap replacement option. IBEW Local 134 Chicago.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Today's ceramic type bio medias and Penguin Bio-Wheels are much more efficient than those undergravel relics. Plus, burrowing/sifting fish like corys and loaches will love you if you use nice, soft sand instead of harsh, ugly gravel imho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store