how would i go about closing a drilled hole?

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
hi guy i just got a 180 with a 90 gallon sump and pump but i dont think i want to use a sump just because of the extra weight on my floor just wanting to know how i wood go about closing up the holes for my overflow

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Two ways you can do it. 1st way would be to silicone a piece of glass over the holes. The glass should extend at least an inch past the holes and let it dry for at least 24 hours. This can easily be undone down the line with a scraper if needed. 2nd way would be to install the bulkheads and buy pvc tubing to fit tightly into the bulkheads and glue a cap onto the pvc tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've used the first option.I have a second hand wet/dry sump that has about a half dollar sized hole drilled in one end of it.I never ran an external pump so I siliconed a square shaped piece of glass on both sides of the hole and it's been watertight for years.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Use the bulkhead instead. It's much easier than siliconing extra glass and if you ever change your mind about the sump , you can take the cap off the bulkhead, add some pvc pipe and use the sump. Bulkhead keeps your options open.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
Thanks guys both ideas seem pretty easy enough I mean it's at the top of the tank so it isn't like there's that much water pressure on it but I will definitely look into both ideas thanks again you guys are a lot of help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I did that once but didn't put the intake screen on it, next thing I know my chocolate talking cat has found himself a new hole to hide in, which was a right PITA as it would come out of the water whenever I did a water change and he was nearly impossible to get out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store