Do dats need brackish as adults?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Been reading up on dats since i got one, do i need to switch it to brackish when it gets to a certain size? Also, im coming across some confusion, ive seen 3 species listed as Indo Datnoid. Microlepsi, Pololota, and undecemiradiatus.

Which one is the true 4 bar dat? I know the undecems are NTT normally, but im having trouble figuring out which one i have specifically. I know its not NTT so im thinking pololota, but it has no silver.. so maybe microlepsi?

So this would either be considered an AT or IT correct?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
1st. From my understanding the only brackish Datnoid is Polota (the silver or American Datnoid). That being said I have an Indo. But have never raised any dat from youth to adulthood.

Second:

Indo Datnoid = Microlepis (I have one)
American "Silver" Datnoid = Polota
Thin-bar aka Northern Thai Tiger (NTT) = undecemiradiatus

Indo Datnoids are the ones with four bars between the eye and the tail. That doesn't mean they cant have 3 bars, but they normally have 4.

It is more than likely that your datnoid is an Indonesian Datnoid aka. Datnoid Microlepis.

Anyone with more experience please correct me if I am wrong.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
As far as brackish- 95% of the people on here who keep dats, keep them in fresh for life. The silvers are the ones who are really supposed to be converted as they get older but all datnoids can handle brackish water conditions. I haven't found any conclusive evidence on whether or not it matters as some people who have kept them in brackish, never noticed a difference.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Ok thanks guys, i understand the whole synonym IT, AT thing. Its just ive seen the silvers listed as indos, the ITs (which i gather are true indos correct?) Listed as indos, and the NTTs listed as just indo. Confusing the hell outta me haha more vendors should use the whole IT AT CT thing vs just calling them Indos

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Melbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hawaii
Was going to ask the same thing. There's a baby "gold Tiger dat" at an LFS that they keep in brackish. Seems to be doing well. Also, what exactly is a gold Tiger? I feel like it must be mislabeled.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ok thanks guys, i understand the whole synonym IT, AT thing. Its just ive seen the silvers listed as indos, the ITs (which i gather are true indos correct?) Listed as indos, and the NTTs listed as just indo. Confusing the hell outta me haha more vendors should use the whole IT AT CT thing vs just calling them Indos.
I'm guessing you've seen these mislabelings in some stores?....chalk it up to lazy ness on the part of the sellers who don't bother to make sure what they are selling is listed properly...I don't recall ever seeing vendors on MFK mislabeling their dats.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
At least in my area is 90 percent Indo dats. Especially if they are about 40 dollars. IT = Indonesian Datnoid. You can't really trust LFS store because they name things whatever to sell. I can understand their side too, because Datnoid doesnt sound as good as "golden tiger fish" or something. Same idea as sabre-toothed tetra or whatever for Payara. Even the other day my LFS called one a tiger datnoid cichlid, in which I had a slight argument with the worker saying its not a cichlid. Wrong family, but you can name it whatever you want cus they want it to sell. It was just an FYI. The next time I came in they said "Your right" and changed the label on the tank haha.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol,well so much for labeling the fish to get it sold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store