Asian arowana and florida gar

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
could anyone tell me about their experience with this? been planning for awhile now to get an asian arowana to have something on the top level of the tank (gar usually stay bottom to mid level). could this work? what about size difference or should they be the same size? used the search but found nothing really significant. BTW i want to get a malaysian green arowana if it is at all possible.

I have seen tanks with this kind of setup but not much about experiences so just want to really make sure. thanks.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
I kept a Florida gar with my first green some STs and rays with no issues except making sure the gar got food at feeding time. It's really down the the individual fish personalities if they get along or not.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
If I remember correctly the far was around 8'' when the green was added. I think I may have had the same gar in with my RTG too at some point.

jar2x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2013
Philippines
how big was the green when you added it with the gar? and thanks you gave me a bit more confidence to try them out together.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
My RTG did fine with gar's of equal size until for ~10" until roughly ~14 inches, then he turned mean and destroyed them along with most other tankmates who weren't strictly bottom dwellers. Gars cannot defend themselves against Asian Aro and, once Asians mature they get quite territorial.

I dont recommend it, it's one of those situations where it works for a long time then one day it doesn't and all that hard work and care to raise out a nice big fish goes down the drain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store