Speculations of new algae growth

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
how long do you leave the lights on?

a quick way to get rid of it would be to turn off your filters and dose the tank with Flourish Excel...dump the tank's dose on to the algae you can see ( I used a turkey baster)..with in a day it will turn red and die. Leave the filters off for about 20 mins.

This is only a quick fix...you have to figure out why you are getting it to completely get rid of it.

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
As Joe said this is BBA and will require some work to rid the tank of it.

Did you change to a diff bulb spectrum or maybe more sunlight now that the leaves are off the trees?

If doseing the tank is not an option you will need to remove the plants and try to scrape the algae off the leaves or dose them out of water. FYI- it's a SOB to get off

True Siamese flying foxes eat BBA especially the young ones

Good luck
Steve

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
You can use hydrogen peroxide the same way as excel. Don't know if it melt your vals or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Peroxide won't melt vals. Honestly though, I did a one two punch and it killed a lot of my algae (look it up)

Of course, it all came back when my co2 went out *sigh* So i have to do it again, plus I'm going to get a UV sterilizer because I'm tired of BBA specifically. I WANT IT DEADDDDDDD.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store