My Experience and observations with the "white perch"

fishking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
new york
Maturing at a length of 19 inches these fish are no joke when large, far more predaceous then one would think..With the ability to tolerate both salt water and fresh, large whiteys can and are known for their predatorial prowess, even taking an occasional small sea bird in the wild, from time to time, or as often as every day..Carnivores of all types of sea crabs, shrimp, and fishes, the larger white perch are swift fast and opportunistic predators, taking eels, frogs, and almost anything that moves in the water..I've observed these fish in aquarium settings even out eating large mouth bass and pea cock bass..Their temperaments are that of the petenia splendida, better known as the more common red morph "red bay snook".. but with larger fish (over 15 inches) their temperaments are more approaching of that of the south American cichlidae class in aggression..I've had the pleasure of keeping these swift, nifty, and fast predators in my aquarium up until 17 ish inches and personally may add they are super fearless in terms of human interaction, as where other "tougher" fish may hide when your net or cleaning apparatus goes into the tank these guys DO NOT..Instead looking to eat something and even taking swipes at your hand..(larger whiteys do have substantial dentation to break skin) ..as for feeding..not many can match it's speed in "capture" of prey..trust me when I say that..In a 900 galloon tank I've seen fish starve in the presence of a large white perch..and believe me when I say the only fish similar is the Hemichromis elongatus..AKA the 5 star jewel..Dorado, certain pike cichlids, peacock bass, LMB, ect...but...but the white perch is on top..
thanks for reading..

white-perch.jpg

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
Sweet!!! It's technically a game fish right? Making it illegal to "trade". If its legal to ship them which most game fish aren't legal to do would you be willing to trade me some for some California fish or I could pay

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I have yet to find any solid proof of your claims. Most videos are of fishing. Atleast with the other fish listed there's solid evidence. Crap even my wolf fish ate a mouse this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
x2 I agree which is why they are invasive species in some areas, its in their nature to outcompete a lot of other species

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Odd thing about this fish, i catch them everywhere around western new york. I also happened to catch them in pretty salty water in maryland. Odd haha first fish i caught when i got to maryland actually, solid 12 incher on kayak

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Hmm maybe I should go fishing I saw a video on YouTube of one caught in Greenwich CT witch is about an hour away from me.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Hmm maybe I should go fishing I saw a video on YouTube of one caught in Greenwich CT witch is about an hour away from me.

It's worth it...they definitely put up a good fight and they always feed in schools ime......when you hit one there's plenty more around.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
It's worth it...they definitely put up a good fight and they always feed in schools ime......when you hit one there's plenty more around.
I wonder if they are closer then that since they seem to be such wide spread throughout the states

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I gurantee their in your area, its a pretty rare thing in my area to not find any of these guys. My grandpa called em silver bass lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store