need suggestions.. just back into the hobby

Irbanjaxed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Ellijay Ga
well seems like ive taken to long of a break (3 years) i used to have a 90 gal with south american cichlids i had peacock bass and green terrors even had a small shoal of RBP but i retired the tank back in 2010
now the 90 is in storage and i am beginning to set up a 30 gal tank i had to build a stand and all that good stuff but i will be ready to start mixing my water Tuesday and then Wednesday after work i will add my sand and live rock
and from every thing i see after a week of running if my parameters are all good i can start adding fish now i have an idea of the fish i want but wanted to get a take on what others have went with in the beginning i was thinking a yellow tang, flame angel , hawkfish , starfish, maybe yellow tail damsels... if those wont work or anyone has some constructive criticism for a newb to salt please post way

thanks alot

Melbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hawaii
No to the yellow tang, it will out grow a 30 gallon by salt standards. Keep in mind that damsels are really agressive if you want a pair go with green chromis.. Flame angel MIGHT work but i personally wouldnt do it. 30 gal is considered a nano, youre options are limited to things like inverts blennys and clowns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Irbanjaxed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Ellijay Ga
how about the flame hawkfish hows there com[atability with chromis clowns and or blennys wrasse or starfish particularly chocolate star

Melbell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hawaii
IMO, hawkfish are always a risk for nano tanks. Like a lot of others, it depends on the individual personalities. In a tank that small it will more than likely chase a blenny and maybe eat the clowns if theyre small enough. Having lots of hide spots would lessen the chance of that happening. Not sure about the starfish though...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
did you test for ammonia and nitrites? i don't think you are ready to add fish yet... with a 30 gallon i would stick to small fish like small clowns, royal gramma, yellow tail damsel, purple firefish etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store