this driftwood safe

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
found a nice big piece I want to eventually use :) the guy says it is from a fir tree, I pretty much assume bad since fir is pine, he said it was a pitch? in the middle of tree and will not rot, but as stated above isnt pine bad for aquariums

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Well for one fir is not pine, they are not the same thing. However both of these are soft woods where as the typical wood used is hard wood.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I have used many kinds of wood, including pine. In general, soft woods rot and grow the slime coat faster than other types. I typically have plecos in my tanks and they readily clean the wood and keep decay in check. Think of soft woods more as temporary decor. I have used soft wood driftwood for around a year or so before discarding the piece and rescaping the tank. As long as weekly water changes are performed, wood generally will not influence your water quality in a significant way. Regardless of the wood you use, it should be a solid piece that is not soft or otherwise already begining to decompose.

I would never suggest trying a new variable with super sensitive species, and I have never used fir. I have never had wood cause a problem with my fish health and I have used multiple species of pine. Water changes help remove tannins and any other chemicals. Properly boiling and/or soaking the wood prior to using in a tank will greatly improve the quality of the wood and decrease the chemical load in the wood itself

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store