135/75 gallon build

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I love plumbing. I also love sumps, but I've always found it odd when non fish folks see my setups and wonder why there aren't any fish in the tank on the bottom......so much wasted space it seems........

So.................time for something a little different.

Main display is a 135 acrylic and the sump is a 75 gallon glass. Both tanks have Designs by Nature ( thanks Jeff!) Bulu point 3d. Top is lit by a Current 48-60" satellite and a 44" Flex led. Bottom has a Marineland double bright and 2 21" hidden LEDs. Pump is a Reef Octopus Diablo 5500 dc and the overflow will be a Reef Savvy Ghost( Beananimal style with magnetic weir). All plumbing is exposed, so other than black fittings it's all clear sch. 80 excelon and valves. Stand is the standard diy design except for the top frame being doubled and and extra set of legs to frame the sump.

The idea is to use the sump as a full planted display with micro fish. I always end up with fish in the sump anyways, so I figured I'd make it comfortable for them lol.

135 stock is 15 Puntius Denisonii, 4 L75's, L204 and my 7 year old rainbow shark. 75 will house some black skirt tetras, and hopefully a small school of
Danio margaritatus and a school of
Pseudomugil furcatus. Maybe some cories somewhere ...Plants still tbd at this point.

Returns are plumbed but no pics uploaded yet. Tank will flow side to side river style. Return on the left, drain on the right. Still waiting for the Ghost to arrive to finish. A few cell phone pics to start with lots more to come tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1384844888.592473.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1384844908.391645.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1384844922.841310.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1384844939.325527.jpg

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
That looks great so far. I tried with a 180 and a 120 on the bottom I tried to build a modified OHF so I could utilize most of the 120 for fish instead of media. It worked for a bit but never really ran the way I wanted. I can't wait to see your setup complete.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I think I seen these tanks on their Facebook page like a week ago. Looks awesome though

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Thanks guys! Yeah, flow is something I've spent a lot of time on since this tank is in my home studio. Not only does it need to function properly, but it has to do it completely silently too. Hopefully, get it right lol

The drains are a bit of a challenge because there are 3 fighting for space going into the sump. In theory, I'll only use 1 7x16 sock which will receive the full siphon and open channel standpipes, but they aren't side by side in the ghost because of the fitting placement in the box. The emergency is in the middle and while I can get it plumbed and functioning just fine, aesthetically I'm not there yet. Visually, it's still too messy for my tastes.

If the stand was closed I wouldn't care so much. Being open and seen presents a new set of issues to plumb around..,,

But, I do love plumbing and want it to be really clean. And quiet.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1efoFItRq8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Da1efoFItRq8

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I hear the clock ticking on you wanting to go 3d in your 300.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I hear the clock ticking on you wanting to go 3d in your 300.
Lol my wife brought it up first but, yes.

If I'd known how easy these were to work with I'd have done them long ago. The bottom had to be broken in 2 to clear the center brace and the top had to be in 3 to clear the Eurobracing.

Just like it says in the sticky, they fit back together like a puzzle. Add some silicone with the tank on its back. That's basically it.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
The new setup looks great. I've always liked the idea of using a sump as a FW refugeum and growing plants and feeders in there. I've always wanted a similar setup and use a planted sump to keep livebearers and shrimp to feed to the inhabitants of the main tank.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Will the 75 be the only form of filtration? Will you be using socks and/or any form of media?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Thanks guys!

7" sock on one side and a 4" PVC tee/pipe combo with about 3 liters of matrix,bio max,substrat pro. I'll post some pics up once I cut the pads to fit inside the tee. Just a little extra mech to keep the bio clean.

Plants for the rest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store