Getting soaked by your fish

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Just happend to me for the first time. I took my lid off to feed my peacock bass hes about 10". He usually strikes sideways as its a 6ft x 18" footprint. Today he cut backwards and just soaked me almost head to toe. Was a good laugh. Anyone else care to share simular stories?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
I have had particular goldfish always splash me when I come near their tanks. Now I have two large black spot eels that like to splash me to get my attention when they are hungry.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Peacock bass are the kings of this subject...I like to play a trick on unsuspecting guests who want to see my fish by tossing a handful of pellets into the tank and giving them a cichla shower.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
A while back I had a big midevil and I was moving it from one tank to another in my room. When I first put the midevil in her 55 it went with ease but moving her proved to be a challenge she was too big for my 8" net so her body couldn't fit completely in it. When I went to pull her out the tank she tried to swim down splashing water everywhere. All have me a shower, soaked my wife sitting on the couch a few feet away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
I as well have had this experience, I have a 8" flower horn and a 10" tinfoil barb that both seems to always aim for the same pellet when I feed them. Every night its a race to get the lid closed before they get to the top. Even though they haven't yet every time I worry that they may come out with the gallon of water they throw

Sent from my ADR930L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Peacock bass are the kings of this subject...
Actually,my armatus is a world champion caliber splasher as well.The few times I have had to net him out of the tank have resulted in what looks like half of the tank's water all over the floor and my clothes.It looks like a violent battle has taken place....

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
With 7 12-14 inch bass in my tank there's pretty much no way of avoiding this at feeding time, so I started letting my tank drain down to my sump before feeding, but I still get splashed because my growouts are 10x worse. I have to trick my growouts when putting the pellets in or risk getting splashed and them splashing the pellets back out of the tank.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I dunk the pellets right in front of the koralia powerhead so it would be push to the opposite end. This method reduced a lot of water splashing out of the tank. Cichla strikes so fast at pellets so you will get soaked if you stand in front to give it pellets.

RoxtR1

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 11, 2013
Lmao! I had a Texas that loved to send a wall of water out at me at feeding time. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with my fh who would come to the top when he seen me coming only to wait with an open mouth at the surface, I think as a hint to just pour the pellets right into his mouth!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store