Omega 1 vs NLS

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
You are just trying to start a fight!!!

I will weigh in anyway. I have used both brands, but NLS is the main staple for my african cichlids. NLS gives me great results - and I am not just talking about looks. I am talking about general health, activity, breeding, etc. I am in no way saying that Omega One is not as quality, just that NLS works for my fish.

Now, in looking at the ingredients list, I believe NLS wins by far (comparing just the Omega One Super Color Sinking Cichlid Pellet and the NLS Cichlid Formula). While it sounds good that Omega One uses whole fish (like "whole salmon, halibut, whole shrimp") these are not actually the largest sources of protein. The reason is the amount of water in these ingredients inflates where these protein sources fall in the ingredients list. This is unfortunately a common practice in most pet foods.

Basically, ingredients are listed by amount, with the greatest amount of the first ingredient being used and the least amount of the last ingredient used (I hope that made sense). Since both of these fish foods are pellets, almost all of the water is removed. An ingredient like whole fish has a large amount of water, which is lost during the manufacturing process. This water loss is not translated to the ingredients list, so these whole fish products really fall much farther down the list and are likely not even the main source of protein. On the other hand, most of the water is already removed from the fish meal, so it is likely that this actually is the number one ingredient.

My main gripe with NLS is I wish they listed the components of the fish meal. What part of the fish is used and what type of fish. But the fact that Krill meal comes first means that is the main source of protein, so in part I am satisfied.

I will finish by saying again, I am in no way saying Omega One is a bad food, or that it is not as good as NLS. I am simply stating facts about ingredients lists, manufacturing processes, and my own personal experiences.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
If you do a quick search, your question and similar ones have already been posted and discussed on this site many times. Many of which have turned into some very heated arguments.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Oh no.............Not again. :popcorn:

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
I've never used Omega 1. Honestly I never picked up a container of it. All of my tanks that are on a staple diet of pellets are being fed some variety of NLS. I have kept my feeding regimen the same for many years. All of my fish are vibrant, growing well, and appear healthy. I can't ask for more, and couldn't imagine my stock looking any better than they do.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Oh no.............Not again. :popcorn:
+1 just what I was thinking lol

I use four different brands of pellets right now, I (and my fish) like all of them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store