Las Vegas Mandalay Bay shark reef - fresh water section!

Wesley M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
St. George, Utah USA
Yesterday I went to Vegas to, among other things go, see the Mandalay Bay aquarium. They've got a fresh water section with several tanks for fresh water fish. One of the first one has arowanas , these shark like catfish, turtles, and these large whitish orange fish. At first I had no clue what the whitish orange fish were. Then I looked at them from the side and they looked like massive midas cichlids. They were the right color, shape, and they had nuchal humps. They only thing is that they were at least 18 inches long. Probably a little longer. Can any one who's been there confirm or deny that the we're midas? I didn't think to take a picture.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Wesley,

No the Shark Reef does not have Midas, What you were looking at were Giant Gourami's. My friend works there as a tour-guide. I have been there several times myself and have lived in vegas for 14 years.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Not that I am aware. And i'm pretty sure the ones they have were donated from private collectors. I like the Asians Arrows they got :drool: prob cus I am not aloud to have one.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I don't remember any asian arowana there. And to have that many of the same fish I am sure they were from another aquarium or somewhere else that they ordered them from. A private collector would most likely not have that nany of the same fish.

Not that I am aware. And i'm pretty sure the ones they have were donated from private collectors. I like the Asians Arrows they got :drool: prob cus I am not aloud to have one.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
O they don't have that many now sorry. I just put that pick up as an example of giant gourami. And trust me on the asians the proof is my drool stains on the glass haha.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store