Naming fish?

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
..that is silly I have 100s of fish and only two have names.

All are taken care of, all get large weekly water changes, all are fed a healthy verity of foods.

Now I can see how this is true for say.. a teenager or a kid with a betta..or other beginner fish to get them attached to more than "just a fish".

just my thoughts.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I believe it, especially w/ how shallow most people are once something has a name they become more attatched. Hence why when you find a kittin and your parents dont want it they say dont give it a name haha

I name my fish based on what they do, my Ornate is named morgoth, because hes evil and has a knack for eating tankmates i didnt think he could. Red wolf is bloody face, because he jumps so much he bloodies his face haha. Hes calmed down a lot past 5 inch though. My cory cats ( 2x panda, 1x green aneus, 1x peppered, 1x sterbai) i call the wizards, because theyre face looks like an old man w/ a big beard and they make food dissapear pretty quick.

It comes down to the person though i believe, once i gave my sisters betta a name she started taking better care of it.. its still in a 1 gallon w/o any filtration or anything though :/

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
..that is silly I have 100s of fish and only two have names.

All are taken care of, all get large weekly water changes, all are fed a healthy verity of foods.

Now I can see how this is true for say.. a teenager or a kid with a betta..or other beginner fish to get them attached to more than "just a fish".

just my thoughts.
x2 I agree 100%

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
The theory is sound. I had a similar practice with females in college. I know it sounds sexist, but I got the idea from a good female friend who used to fool around with the school quarterback. She always called him "The quarterback". One day I asked her what his real name was and her response was "Oh no! When you give them names, they become 'people' and then inevitably feeling become involved. That's not what I want." Very cool girl.

Anyway, I name all my fish. The only one who doesn't have a name yet is my Hujeta gar, but I think I'll come up with something for him soon.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I name all my fish.

The "main ones" have their own names, the groups of smaller fish have group names (ie my 4 dojo loaches are the Rastafarians).

Whether or not it means I take better care if them, it makes it easier to talk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I have over 1000 fish. I'd never find enough names, let alone remember them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store