My attempt at planting - 75 gallon

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
In the last week I've put a bunch of plants in my tank. I'm going low tech only using lights, root tabs and liquid ferts. My light is a 48" Finnex Ray 2. I figured the best way for me to figure this out was throw a bunch of plants at the tank and see what sticks. So far everything is looking pretty decent. I had a bit of pennywort die off but other than that everything seems to be doing ok for now. I'm running my lights for 4 hours, taking a 2 hour siesta and then 4 hours again. Here is a photo.

Plants:
Jungle Val
Anubias
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Petit
Crypt Wendtii
Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Fern
Java Moss
MM
HM
Rotala Indica
Brazillian Pennywort
Stargrass
Hygrophila Aromatica
Bacopa caroliniana

Fish Stock:
1 Polypterus Senegalus
1 Polypterus Delhezi
6 Female Congo Tetras - will be adding 3 males to the mix
1 Dwarf Synodontis Petricola
2 Crenicichla Regani
1 Green Terror

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Tank looks good, will be interesting to see what works, and what doesnt...

Will be especially interesting to see if by having a siesta period will stop algae from taking over with the use of all those ferts + lighting...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
My previous experience with planting is crypts, anubias and JF. So far everything is doing decent except some of my pennywort. My damn bichirs are kind of crushing some stuff too lol.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, larger bottom dwellers will do that to plants from time to time...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
If it doesn't, it doesn't I figured it would be a fun experiment. They're both still pretty small, the Sen is probably about 6.5" the Delhezi is probably 5", but they seem to like floating around in the plants, and flattening the rotala lol.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Polys and plants totally work, I've been doing it now and it ROCKS. (Although don't do it with an endli in a 75 that the endli doesn't fit in...that was a dumb move on my part).

Hows it working with the green terror though? That's a fish that I think would be more plant dangerous, but if its leaving the leafs alone and isn't digging much then it should be fine.

I find a lot more cichlids might work with plants than previously thought, its just that the fish need something else to stimulate them other than the plants. I could see a green terror by itself wrecking havoc, but with other fish it probably has better things to focus on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store