mangrove jack

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
Here's my little Jack. Spends most of the day lying around near the filter or behind a rock and then comes alive at night to nail a few guppies or whatever else is swimming around in the tank. Cool little guy with plenty of personality.

001-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Nice jack , he won't be hiding behind a rock once he grows up ;)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Was just in the Yucatan, the Belaire resort, just north of Tulum is built on a mangrove swamp and has it's own very brackish cenote that connects with the Caribean. A pair of what may be mangrove jacks live just below the kayak dock, they disappeared when I snorkeled, but got these pics from above.

They are probably around a ft in length.

Hydrocyanide

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
United States
That is a very good looking jack! good job on finding one so colorful as a tike. may I ask where you acquired it? even the most advanced SW LFS don't have a clue what im talking about when I ask them to find me one!

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
That is a very good looking jack! good job on finding one so colorful as a tike. may I ask where you acquired it? even the most advanced SW LFS don't have a clue what im talking about when I ask them to find me one!
Yeah I took it over from someone who couldn't look after it any more. Bear in mind I am in Australia.

As far as colours go, in reality Jacks can change colours in a heartbeat (see my video link above). They can go from drab brown to silvery bronze, add stripes, bright red etc very quickly depending on their mood and background. I wouldn't pick one based on it's colour when purchasing, as it will more than likely be a different colour when you get it home!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store