White film on plastic.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
You know when you put new heaters or plastic equipment in your tank and that white film form on it and flakes off looks like paper or something. I see it on suction cups especially. Well I used pond tubing to plum my sump return line and I think it's starting to get that because on the Dailey I have loads of that white junk floating around in my tank. I know it's not harmful but it looks god awful. My question is does anyone have any ideas to filter that out possibly at the end of the return line. I was thinking of attaching a long pice of panty hose on there to catch all the junk before it makes it in the tank. I will leave a lot of slack so it doesn't clog. Does anyone see an issue with that or have a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jkempel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Empel - Netherlands
Know what u mean, also floating on top of the water. Had it too and asked around, they say its bacteria.
I also wanna know how to get rid of it cause I tried the panty over my filter but it didn't work

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk App

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Its the same junk you get when you add new suction cups or something plastic. Doesn't seem to be bacteria. I don't think at least. It almost looks like paper but I know its not. I gotta rig something up to catch it coming out of my return line. I never noticed it bad before cause it was all trapped in my gravel. Now that I went bare bottom Theres a nice little pile of it every day.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I believe its your dechlorinator that's causing this. I've read that Prime doesn't cause this issue, so when I switched over to Prime, the issue went away.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I guess lol. It only happens to the plastic and rubber. Which My sump is of course plastic and my return line is rubber pond hose. So basically I better think of a way to filter it out without letting my pump return get clogged. Ill just have to get crafty.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If its bacterial, maybe a uv filtration may work or at least control it.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
If its bacterial, maybe a uv filtration may work or at least control it.
Im tapped until tax season at this point ha. I gotta do something cheaper than that. Plus I don't even know if its bacterial or not.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Do you have hard water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store