Need help with plants

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
Looking for a way to reduce the nitrates in my 2 cichlid tanks. Seems that Plants may be the way. Question Being: What plant would be suggested for a situation with no co2 system that still sucks nitrates really well. I am not sure of potted and sunk, floating, or above water is best for this situation. Please Advise, Thanks in advance

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
horn wort, water sprite, frog bit, duck weed, water lettuce.

all good floating plants that will grow fast under almost any light and will suck up the nitrates!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Without CO2 and low light the fastest growing will be the floaters. Duckweed and water lettuce being the easiest.

I grow duckweed in my 20gal as a treat for my Goldie's in my 90. The 20 gallon never reads above 5ppm nitrate even with weeks between water changes. It makes a mess of filters though, you'd had to use some sort of net system to keep it away from intakes. All I have on that tank is a sponge filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi, F1VET has a great thread on reducing nitrates with pothos and is really helpful with questions. I did this in 2 of my cichlid tanks.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

What kind of cichlids do you have? Many cichlids will have a field day with plants. I've spent quite a bit of $ replacing plants they've eaten, dug up, moved around the tank and shred for no apparent reason other than fun!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Pothos. I have 2 large plants growing in my overflows on the 300 and nitrates hit around 10-15 every 2 weeks.

No c02 no extra lighting and no Cichlid food.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Hi, F1VET has a great thread on reducing nitrates with pothos and is really helpful with questions. I did this in 2 of my cichlid tanks.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

What kind of cichlids do you have? Many cichlids will have a field day with plants. I've spent quite a bit of $ replacing plants they've eaten, dug up, moved around the tank and shred for no apparent reason other than fun!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Pothos. I have 2 large plants growing in my overflows on the 300 and nitrates hit around 10-15 every 2 weeks.

No c02 no extra lighting and no Cichlid food.

Good stuff lads! Can't beat pothos for nitrate reduction and price! The sticky provided above and in my sig will give you countless ways to go about setting up this wonderful plant!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Good stuff lads! Can't beat pothos for nitrate reduction and price! The sticky provided above and in my sig will give you countless ways to go about setting up this wonderful plant!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763
Thanks to your thread I'm sitting around 10-15ppm every 2 weeks!

Pothos works..... Really well!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store