aquariums constantly being covered in algae

ratedBforBeau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
Seguin, Texas
hey guys, my oscar tank (55gallon) has been covered and i mean covered with green algae to the point where you cannot see into the tank, i had a marineland penguin 350, and i recently got a marineland canister, magnum 350, and still my tank gets covered. what is causing this and how can i stop it? thanks

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
Do you have it next to a window?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
If the algae is established so strongly in your tank it probably means your over feeding as well as leaving the lights on too long or that the tank is in direct sunlight. Over feeding an O is pretty easy to do since they blow as much food out their gills as they actually eat causing the algae to have a ready source of nutrients to thrive off of never mind the O's high waste out put(poop). Best bet would be to reduce the amount of time that the lights are on in the tank or find away to avoid the direct sunlight if that's the cause. Upping your water changes will also help reduce the amount of available nutrients for the algae by removing the O's waste. Just my opinion on the matter and I hope the suggestions help.

ratedBforBeau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
Seguin, Texas
guys great input! my grandparents recently moved the tank in front of a window, ill be sure to move it somewhere else, and the light on the tank is a regular 4ft shoplight,ill be sure to reduce the time that the light is on!

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
what are your water params? I've herd that high nitrates feed the algae, so like everyone else said up the water changes.

jhc7685

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
SoCal
My outdoor tank used to have a lot of algae too, it gets a lot of indirect sunlight. But I threw in a bunch of plants and it helped reduce the algae growth by taking up the nutrient. The water is still a little green but not as bad.

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
I had a similar issue before even after it was moved from a window. Fluval makes a media that sucks nitrate and phosphate out. If you drop those down it should clear, but do good water changes cause the dead algae feeds the growing algae

Sent from my ADR930L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store