Water change.

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
Is it ok to dump tap water right into tank than use prime or into bucket than add prime than add to tank. Only reason I am asking I seen in other postings that tap water can kill bb. Or it doesnt even matter. Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you are on a municipal water system that treats the tap water with chlorine or chloramine, it is best to use a dechlorinator such as Prime. The reaction of the dechlorinator using sodium thiosufate as an active ingrediant is almost instantaneous, but if you are using a bucket to refill the tank anyway, just add it to the bucket per size of the bucket added.
If you are on a well which isn't chorinated, a dechorinator is not needed

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you're really that concern about your bb, then turn off your filter(s) for a while before and after doing w/c. This way the dechlorinator has time to neutralize the chlorine and the bb in your filter isn't exposed to the new water until the filter is turned back on.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I add prime to the bucket first, then water to the bucket, and then I add the water to the thank
If you're talking about 5 gallon buckets, then this would be an all day chore with a lot of tanks on here.

A hell of a work out though lol

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I used to fill the tank then prime it before I turned on my filters. I never had a problem doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't add anything if I am doing a small (20%) waterchange. I have a friend that is the same way. I also add straight cold from the tap. I figure when it rains there is temperature fluctuation. Water temperatures aren't constant in the wild. Unless I am doing over 50%, and it is winter it's straight cold for me.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I add half my prime before adding half the water, then the rest of the prime with the rest of the water... not sure how I got into that habit. I also dose for my tanks volume, not per bucket

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store